Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Presidential Hopeful ...  (Read 49085 times)

alman

• View Profile
Re: Presidential Hopeful ...
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »

Obama is marching into Pennsylvania as something he hasn't been in a while: the underdog. Clinton is ahead of her fellow Democrat and rival by an average of 17 points at the polls.

In actuality it turned out 10, didn't it?

Henning

• View Profile
Jenna Bush to say `I do' at Texas ranch on Saturday
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »

Well, Obama has not only Axlerod, but also that idiotic Amber Lee Ettinger -- "the Obama girl." Lately she returned with another idiotic piece called 'Hillary, stop the attacks!'

http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/blog/2008/03/obama_girl_returns_hillary_sto.html

I suggest "the Obama girl" follows the example of Jenna Bush and gets married (not sarcastic)...

Talk about hush-hush wedding planning. First daughter Jenna Bush was the last in the family to know she was getting married. Months ago, her fiance, Henry Hager, told Jenna's twin sister that he wanted to propose. Then at the Camp David presidential retreat, Hager asked President Bush and first lady Laura Bush for their daughter's hand in marriage. For weeks, the president and Mrs. Bush kept their lips zipped. Then on Aug. 15, 2007, Hager rousted Jenna at 4 a.m. to go hiking on Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park in Maine. "It was freezing," Jenna recalled. "But we got up, and we hiked in the dark for an hour and a half, and then when we got towards the top — with the sunrise — he asked me." Officially, the wedding is a private, family affair. The White House has issued no press releases, but the president and first lady have gradually dribbled out details about the nuptials Saturday at their 1,600-acre ranch in Crawford, Texas.

Here's the lowdown: Jenna, 26, will wear an Oscar de la Renta gown with a small train. More than 200 friends and relatives will attend the outdoor ceremony with dinner and dancing. A tent is being erected at the Western White House. The bride has 14 attendants, who are known not as bridesmaids, but members of the "house party." Barbara Bush, Jenna's twin, is the maid of honor. She helped Hager make decisions about the ring. The diamond, a Hager family heirloom, was reset in a ring that also features sapphires. On Monday, the president disclosed that Jenna will say "I do" near a lake at the ranch — in front of a giant cross made of Texas limestone that will serve as an altar. The cross will be a landmark at the ranch for years to come. The president said that was his contribution to the wedding that the Bushes are trying to keep a low-key affair. Doug Wead, a former aide to President George H.W. Bush and author of a book on presidents' kin, calls Jenna's ceremony "the anti-Alice Roosevelt wedding." Former President Theodore Roosevelt's daughter was married in 1906. "That wedding took place during a time of prosperity and peace; this one at a time of economic struggle and war," Wead said. "The Roosevelt family was outgoing, flamboyant; this is a private family. That was one of the most popular presidencies in American history. Even John Adams didn't go on Mount Rushmore, but Teddy Roosevelt went on Mount Rushmore. This is an unpopular presidency. Alice had no bridesmaids. Jenna has 14."

Jenna, the 22nd child of a president to marry while their fathers were in office, has come a ways from her dad's first year in office when she had a run-in with the Texas law for underage drinking. It was her second offense. Then, during her father's re-election campaign in 2004, she was photographed sticking her tongue out at the media at a campaign stop in Missouri. The widely circulated photo reinforced the playful side of her personality. In 2004, she graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in English. She taught third grade at Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom Public Charter School in Washington, D.C. These days, Jenna has been doing book tours. After a UNICEF internship in Latin America, she wrote "Ana's Story: A Journey of Hope," about a single mother with AIDS. In recent weeks, she's been traveling the country with the first lady promoting their book "Read All About It!" a story about a boy who discovers the joys of reading. The groom, son of the head of the Republican Party in Virginia, met Jenna during her father's 2004 re-election campaign. Hager, who graduated from Wake Forest University, worked as an aide to Bush's former top political adviser Karl Rove and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez. Hager, who will turn 30 the day before the wedding, is set to receive an MBA later this month from the University of Virginia's Darden School of Business. After the wedding, the couple plans to live in a two-bedroom, two-bath town house on the south side of Baltimore where she plans to return to teaching and he will work for Constellation Energy, a power supplier based in Maryland.

Jenna's mother said Monday that she's not nervous — and the president isn't, either. "I'm very, very excited," the first lady told reporters. "It's a very interesting passage of life when you get to that time in your life when your child — first child is getting married. And we're getting, for us, our first son." Laura Bush admits that she half hoped Jenna and Hager, whom she calls "soul mates," would get married at the White House. But Jenna said she was raised in Texas and having a White House wedding just wasn't her style. "It means a lot to Henry and me to be outdoors," Jenna said in an interview with Vogue magazine. "We wanted something organic and low-key. "There's a glamour to it, I know," she said of White House ceremonies. "But Henry and I are far less glamorous than the White House." Her wedding gown, however, was the creation of Oscar de la Renta, a top New York designer and favorite of the first lady's. It's made of organza, a sheer fabric, with embroidery and matte beading. Jenna has described the dress as "simple and elegant." For the bridesmaids, New York designer Lela Rose, a native of Dallas, has made silk crinkle chiffon, cocktail-length dresses all adorned with handmade chiffon flowers. There are seven different styles of dresses in seven different colors that match the palate of Texas wildflowers — blues, greens, lavenders and pinky reds — that currently are in bloom. "No two girls will be in the same dress," said Rose, whose father and Bush were general managing partners of the Texas Rangers. The maid of honor will wear a long, shimmering, moonstone blue silk gown with a fluttered open back. "It's very soft blue," Rose said. "It really matches Barbara's eyes." The dress is accented with a silver sash to complement those used for the bridesmaids' dresses. Bush may be commander in chief, but outnumbered by three women — his wife and twin daughters — he hasn't gotten to weigh in much on the wedding planning. "They're letting me spend money," Bush joked in February. Bush played the role of broke father of the bride again in March, joking: "I had to face some very difficult spending decisions, and I've had to conduct sensitive diplomacy. That's called planning for a wedding." When he first talked about it, the president didn't seem all that nostalgic about seeing one of his daughters marry. When Hager said "I want to marry your daughter,' Bush said he replied, "Done deal." Today, Bush is a bit more wistful. With just nine months left in office and his popularity sliding, Bush jokes that GOP presidential candidate John McCain isn't the only one who wants to distance himself from him.

"Jenna is moving out, too," Bush says.

localrealist

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »
Looking ahead, there are some bright spots for Clinton. Next week, the campaign shifts to West Virginia, where the demographic and socioeconomic terrain ought to favor the former first lady. On May 20, the candidates will battle it out in Kentucky and Oregon. Clinton is expected to do well in the former, while she will try to defy expectations in the latter. 

Her support among Hispanics also may bode well for her in the June 1 Puerto Rico primary. Two days later, Clinton will battle it out with Obama in Montana and South Dakota -- the final two states in this marathon primary season. But unless she scores landside victories in the remaining contests, most pundits predict the delegates will be split about evenly between the two candidates. Another hurdle for Clinton will be to find some way to convince Democratic leaders that the votes in Michigan and Florida should be counted.

superdelegate

• View Profile
AMERICA'S CHICKENS ARE COMING HOME TO ROOST
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2008, 01:58:03 PM »

On the Sunday in 2003 when Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. shouted "God d a m n America" from the pulpit of Trinity United Church of Christ, he defined d a m n a t i o n as God's way of holding humanity accountable for its actions. Rattling off a litany of injustices imposed on minorities throughout the nation's history, Wright argued that God cannot be expected to bless America unless it changes for the better. Until that day, he said, God will hold the nation accountable.

And that's when Wright uttered the three words that have rocked Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

On the Sunday after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Wright preached on the "brutally honest" final verses of Psalm 137, which he said "spotlight the insanity of the cycle of violence." The sound bite taken from the sermon is something Wright on that day termed a "faith footnote," in which he used the phrase "chickens are coming home to roost" to sum up what U.S. diplomat Edward Peck had said in a TV interview. Malcolm X used the same phrase after President Kennedy's assassination. But a critique of foreign policy was not Wright's central topic.

Beyond that racy dig, however, the sermon sought to admonish members inclined to vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton because they thought a black candidate couldn't win. Wright likened their doubt to the doubt of Jesus' disciples who did not believe he could feed a crowd with five loaves and two fishes. Wright's recent comment that Hillary Clinton will never know what it feels like to be called the N-word also touched nerves. Rev. Frederick Haynes III, a Wright protege said, "People need to understand how profoundly painful that word is," he said. "It speaks to an experience. He came from a different time."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbUBTlmAiA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwQWuQVE6sw&feature=related

tbreckenridge

• View Profile
Re: AMERICA'S CHICKENS ARE COMING HOME TO ROOST
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwQWuQVE6sw&feature=related

Well, on April 29, Obama decried Wright's latest remarks as "a bunch of rants that aren't grounded in the truth". He accused his former pastor of exploiting racism and "giving comfort to those who prey on hate." He characterized Wright's National Press Club appearance as a "spectacle" and described its content as "outrageous" and "destructive."

"After seeing Reverend Wright's performance, I felt there was a complete disregard for what the American people are going through and the need for them to rally together to solve these problems. What mattered to him was him commanding center stage."

Obama said he was "particularly angered" by Wright's allegation that the candidate was engaging in political posturing when he denounced the minister's earlier remarks.

"If Reverend Wright considers that political posturing, then he doesn't know me very well. Based on his comments yesterday, well, I may not know him as well as I thought, either."

L e o

• View Profile
Re: AMERICA'S CHICKENS ARE COMING HOME TO ROOST
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »

Following the media uproar over Wright’s statements at a series of public appearances over the previous four days, Obama clearly calculated that he had to publicly repudiate the minister or face the collapse of his presidential campaign. He did so forcefully, listing a series of statements made by Wright, mainly in his appearance Monday at the National Press Club in Washington, and repudiating them both generally and in detail. He singled out Wright's claims that,

• the 9/11 attacks were an inevitable response to the US government's own terrorist military violence in the Middle East;
  • that Louis Farrakhan, leader of the Nation of Islam, was one of the greatest voices of the 20th and 21st centuries;
  • that the US government might have created the AIDS virus to commit genocide against non-whites.

"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened over the spectacle that we saw yesterday," Obama said. Referring to his long association with Wright as a member of the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, he continued, "The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church. They certainly don't portray accurately my values and beliefs." Obama seemed to take particular offense at Wright's suggestion that the presidential candidate's March 18 speech on race relations in the United States — in which he voiced some criticism of Wright's views but was more conciliatory to the minister — was an exercise in political posturing. (Hear, hear!)

The overall reaction reveals a candidate who is being put through his paces by the ruling elite, and feels, under the pressure of the media firestorm, that he must do everything possible to reassure the political establishment and distance himself from any hint of political radicalism. The real concern, as far as ruling circles are concerned, is not Wright's supposed "anti-white" bigotry, or even his friendliness to Farrakhan. There are far more religious and racial bigots in the camp of Republican John McCain, who has been embraced by most of the Christian fundamentalist groups and television evangelists, including figures like the Reverend John Hagee, an open anti-Catholic bigot. The concern is with Wright's sharply worded critique of the US government, which he suggested, quite correctly, is a criminal conspiracy against the rights of the people of the world, as well as black and other minority people within the United States itself. (Wright, as a reactionary black nationalist, regards white working people as part of the oppressors rather than as the largest component of the oppressed). Any sympathy with such a hostile attitude to American foreign policy is of course intolerable, from the standpoint of the ruling class, in a politician who was seeking the position of commander-in-chief. Obama was being criticized as well for reacting too slowly and too timidly to the Wright "problem" once it emerged as an issue in his campaign.

Back-to-back editorials in the Wall Street Journal, published Tuesday and Wednesday, illustrate these concerns — as well as the appreciation, on the part of a major mouthpiece of big business, for Obama's efforts to disavow any political agreement with Wright. Tuesday's editorial noted: "Early in his campaign, Senator Obama earned support from many voters with the notion that he wanted to transcend racial politics. Rev. Wright is exacerbating them in a way not seen in recent years. Barack Obama cannot remain on both sides of this. He has to make a decision. He is not running for national Mediator. He is running for President. In time, that job brings tough decisions. He's there now." The next day's editorial, published after the senator's press conference, was headlined approvingly, "Obama Gains," and declared that Obama "addressed the issue with clarity and decisiveness." The editorial went on to suggest, in a tone dripping with cynicism, that Obama should go on to revise his views on raising the capital gains tax — an issue of paramount concern to Wall Street billionaires — and applauding his step in that direction in his interview with Fox News broadcast last Sunday.

It is not yet clear whether Obama has succeeded in proving himself to the ruling elite, despite some indications of a favorable response. The media frenzy, once set in motion, may be hard to tamp down. Besides the Journal, a significant portion of the press has raised questions about why Wright provoked the political furor. There have even been suggestions that Wright's appearance in Washington was promoted by the campaign of Obama's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Hillary Clinton. The Chicago Tribune — the hometown daily for both men — questioned Wright's motives in an editorial Tuesday, observing, "By the end of Wright's performance, you had to wonder if he was trying to torpedo Obama's bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. He surely didn't seem troubled by that possibility. :)

New York Times columnist Bob Herbert wrote in the same vein, "The Rev. Jeremiah Wright went to Washington on Monday not to praise Barack Obama, but to bury him." He noted that Wright, pastor of the largest congregation in Chicago's South Side, "has been a very savvy operator, politically and otherwise, for decades ... He knows exactly what he's doing." There has as yet been no significant defection on the part of the superdelegates, the elected officials and Democratic National Committee members whose votes will be decisive in the closely contested race. Bear in mind, however, that neither candidate offers policies to defend the interests of working people. Neither will bring an end to the war in Iraq. On the contrary, both support the expansion of US military aggression in the Middle East and Central Asia, Clinton suggesting a US military "obliteration" of Iran, Obama calling for US military strikes against supposed terrorist targets in Pakistan. As Obama moves ever further to the right, propelled both by competition with Clinton and attacks from the media and the Republican candidate John McCain, the primary contest continues to demonstrate that the Democratic Party offers no alternative to the program of war, social reaction and attacks on democratic rights conducted by the Bush-Cheney administration over the past 7 years.

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
My friend, the reason why you continue to amaze me even after so many years you first appeared is that you never fail to "adapt," or "pretend," whatever you wanna call it ... I mean, it's remarkable how you actually picked a side this time and played the game ... Or is it that your spirit of rebellion has really been smoothered by the American consumerism? :)

muhamad

• View Profile
Re: Obama the Magic N i g g a
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

The magical negro is typically in some way outwardly or inwardly disabled, either by discrimination, disability or social constraint, often a janitor or prisoner. He has no past; he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist. He is the black stereotype, prone to criminality and laziness. To counterbalance this, he has some sort of magical power, rather vaguely defined but not the sort of thing one typically encounters. The magical negro serves as a plot device to help the protagonist get out of trouble, typically through helping the white character recognize his own faults and overcome them. In this way, the magical negro is similar to the deus ex machina; a simple way for the protagonist to overcome an obstacle almost entirely through outside help. Although he has magical powers, his magic is ostensibly directed toward helping and enlightening a white male character. It is this feature of the magical negro that some people find most troubling. Although the character seems to be showing African-Americans in a positive light, he is still ultimately subordinate to whites. He is also regarded as an exception, allowing white America to like individual black people but not black culture.

Obama is there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him.

Obama & Caligula

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysar571oxUA&feature=related

LMAO!

schrödinger

• View Profile
Re: Obama the Magic N i g g a
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

[...] replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

Wow - you have a way with words, nellie mae!
Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true.