Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Presidential Hopeful ...  (Read 48218 times)

fork in the ass

• View Profile
Re: Presidential Hopeful My @ # ! * i n g Ass ..
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2007, 01:49:13 AM »
Interesting expose, mapother. I just wanted to add that it was in Loving v. Virginia (1967), that laws banning interracial marriage were struck down, which in simple terms means that until 1967 a black man or woman could not legally marry a white woman or man.

The plaintiffs, Mildred Jeter (a black woman) and Richard Perry Loving (a white man), were residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia who had been married in June of 1958 in the District of Columbia, having left Virginia to evade a state law banning marriages between any white person and a non-white person. Upon their return to Virginia, they were charged with violation of the ban, pleaded guilty, and were sentenced to one year in prison, with the sentence suspended for 25 years on condition that the couple leave the state of Virginia. The trial judge in the case, Leon Bazile, echoing Johann Friedrich Blumenbach's 18th-century interpretation of race, proclaimed that,

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, Malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

The Lovings moved to the District of Columbia, and in 1963 began a series of lawsuits seeking to overcome their conviction on Fourteenth Amendment grounds, ultimately reaching the Supreme Court. The story of the Lovings was turned into a movie in 1996 titled Mr. & Mrs. Loving, starring Lela Rochon, Timothy Hutton, and Ruby Dee.

cumlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2007, 07:47:42 AM »
i hope i'm wrong but i think obama's decision to run for prez just makes it easier for hillary to be crowned as the first female private part prez

loan payer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2007, 06:02:56 AM »
cumlaw, what do you mean when you say, "for hillary to be crowned as the first female private part prez"? The First female private part President (and I don't mean Ladies Man) was Bill Clinton.

(r)evolution

• View Profile
Ran like a chicken on 9/11
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2007, 09:29:30 PM »

cumlaw, what do you mean when you say, "for hillary to be crowned as the first female private part prez"? The First female private part President (and I don't mean Ladies Man) was Bill Clinton.

I'm sorry, loan payer, but our first female private part president was George W Bush -- don't you remember how he sat with his thumb up his ass for seven minutes before heading for the hills in cowardly retreat on 9/11?! He is our first female private part president ... if he were indeed president.

loanee

• View Profile
Senator Barack Math Gaffe
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2007, 10:27:13 PM »
Ten Thousand Kansans dead?

On the campaign trail yesterday the stupid m u t h a @ # ! * i n g Obama made reference to the recent spate of tornado deaths in Kansas. Only he got a few numbers wrong, claiming ten thousand persons were killed instead of twelve. It would be easy enough to excuse him for getting the decimal point off just a bit; Kansas is "flyover country," which in this case means not just a stretch of featureless geography which candidiates travese on their way to more entertaining or important states, but it is also a state over which citizens often do fly, along with their cows, chickens, houses and sundry posessions. How is a Hawaiian supposed to keep track? Ten, ten thousand...

JudasPriest

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
tag

threestrikes

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »

i hope i'm wrong but i think obama's decision to run for prez just makes it easier for hillary to be crowned as the first female private part prez

My 10-year-old son is triumphant because he thinks he has me in a bind. He knows, from frequent dinnertime conversations, that I'm keen on Obama. And he assumes, because I wear my feminism on my sleeve, that I'll feel obligated to vote for Hillary so that we can celebrate the first woman president of the United States.

"You'll have to vote for her because she's a girl," he taunts.

"Woman." I correct, barely listening. How did I raise such an annoying child? "Eat your broccoli," I tell him. "I'm voting for Obama."

"She'd be the first girl president ever," he sing-songs, as if he were dangling a piece of Godiva bitter-sweet chocolate in front of me.

"Woman president," I correct. "And I like Obama."

My son thinks about this, chews his broccoli, speaks with his mouthful: "He'd be the first African-American president," my son tells me.

"Yes."

"Can I be excused to watch The Simpsons?"

"No."

"Are you just voting for him so we can have the first African American president?" he asks.

"No," I say. "I like him. He seems smart to me."

"So even though we could have the first girl president ever, you're not going to vote for Hillary?"

"Woman," I correct. "Yes."

"Can I be excused now," he asks. "The Simpsons is practically over."

"Drink your milk," I say. No Socratic grilling at the dinnertable, I think.

Then, he gets vindictive, super sly. "Did you know Obama goes to church? He's very religious."

"Go watch The Simpsons," I say. He must have seen the annoying New York Times article by Jodi Kantor last week, "A Candidate, His Minister and the Search for Faith". Why do they run these articles on the front page where children can see them--and read those salacious headlines?

"He talks about God all the time in his speeches."

"He believes in a separation of church and state," I say. And then, I must explain what that is--and I do it so well that I almost persuade myself that I believe Obama believes this is a truly sacrosanct divide. I just wanna believe.

"So you don't want a woman president?" he says, a dog with a bone.

"I do, but..."

"What if Lisa Simpson were running? She's super smart. What if she were running against Obama?"

"I'd vote for that girl in a second!" I agree. "She is super smart."

"Woman," he corrects, and ducks out of the room to watch his show

"She's eight!" I shout after him--and wonder if that children's military academy that's always advertising a disciplined respect for authority in the back of The New York Times magazine has any openings?

c a b r i o l e t

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2007, 11:15:39 PM »

Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man. Except the highs hadn't been about me trying to prove what a down brother I was. Not by then, anyway. I got high for just the opposite effect, something that could push questions of who I was out of my mind, something that could flatten out the landscape of my heart, blur the edges of my memory. I had discovered that it didn't make any difference whether you smoked reefer in the white classmate's sparkling new van, or in the dorm room of some brother you'd met down at the gym, or on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids who had dropped out of school and now spent most of their time looking for an excuse to brawl. You might just be bored, or alone. Everybody was welcome into the club of disaffection. And if the high didn't solve whatever it was that was getting you down, it could at least help you laugh at the world's ongoing folly and see through all the hypocrisy and bull and cheap moralism.

"I had learned not to care," he wrote. "I blew a few smoke rings, remembering those years. Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it. Not smack, though ..."

-- From "Dreams from My Father," by Barack Obama, p. 87 Aug 1, 1996

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK0GZmMhQos&mode=related&search=

Barack Hussein Obama admits to having done cocaine. Yes that's right, leading presidential candidate Barack Hussein Obama used coke. Apparently Barack dreams of cocaine. He probably wishes his father spent time in Columbia or Peru and not Kenya. Kenya isn't known for cocaine after all.

It isn't clear from media reports whether Obama snorted cocaine or freebased it. It's also not clear if he has a cocaine habit or if he's moved on. Given that the last Democrat president had also admitted to marijuana use this probably won't hurt Obama. It could be said that the Obama's admitted coke habit could harm him in the polls. Unlike marijuana, most American voters haven't tried cocaine. Will the voters be ready to accept a cokehead in the Oval office? Well there is an alleged precedent ... It's been reported that Bill Clinton liked to snort plenty of lines at toga parties in Arkansas; enough to overdose and be taken to a Little Rock emergency room for treatment.

Don't worry Obama, since he claimed to be America's first black president and he used coke, Bill Clinton has cleared the road to the White House for you.

helga

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2007, 01:25:31 AM »

Interesting expose, mapother. I just wanted to add that it was in Loving v. Virginia (1967), that laws banning interracial marriage were struck down, which in simple terms means that until 1967 a black man or woman could not legally marry a white woman or man.

Virginia appears to be a piece of work!

nellie mae

• View Profile
Obama the Magic n-word
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2007, 06:38:11 AM »
The magical negro is typically in some way outwardly or inwardly disabled, either by discrimination, disability or social constraint, often a janitor or prisoner. He has no past; he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist. He is the black stereotype, prone to criminality and laziness. To counterbalance this, he has some sort of magical power, rather vaguely defined but not the sort of thing one typically encounters. They are patient and wise, often dispensing various words of wisdom, and are closer to the earth.

The magical negro serves as a plot device to help the protagonist get out of trouble, typically through helping the white character recognize his own faults and overcome them. In this way, the magical negro is similar to the deus ex machina; a simple way for the protagonist to overcome an obstacle almost entirely through outside help. Although he has magical powers, his magic is ostensibly directed toward helping and enlightening a white male character. It is this feature of the magical negro that some people find most troubling. Although the character seems to be showing African-Americans in a positive light, he is still ultimately subordinate to whites. He is also regarded as an exception, allowing white America to like individual black people but not black culture.

Obama is there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest. Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him.