Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Presidential Hopeful ...  (Read 47993 times)

theblackemma

• View Profile
Re: Presidential Hopeful My @ # ! * i n g Ass ..
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »

Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man. Except the highs hadn't been about me trying to prove what a down brother I was. Not by then, anyway. I got high for just the opposite effect, something that could push questions of who I was out of my mind, something that could flatten out the landscape of my heart, blur the edges of my memory. I had discovered that it didn't make any difference whether you smoked reefer in the white classmate's sparkling new van, or in the dorm room of some brother you'd met down at the gym, or on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids who had dropped out of school and now spent most of their time looking for an excuse to brawl. You might just be bored, or alone. Everybody was welcome into the club of disaffection. And if the high didn't solve whatever it was that was getting you down, it could at least help you laugh at the world's ongoing folly and see through all the hypocrisy and bull and cheap moralism.

"I had learned not to care," he wrote. "I blew a few smoke rings, remembering those years. Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it.  Not smack, though ..."

-- From "Dreams from My Father," by Barack Obama, p. 87 Aug 1, 1996

There's a racist history behind the passage of every major federal drug law, with the federal crack cocaine sentencing scheme violating the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution.

horwitz

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2007, 06:10:26 AM »
So you are suggesting that drug use is more than normal among black people, aren't you, theblackemma?
The problem is, they don't have your ambition. They want you to lead, and then they resent you.

usr

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »

Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.(born August 4, 1961) is the junior U.S. Senator from Illinois. He received widespread media coverage for his keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, delivered while he was still an Illinois State Senator. In November 2004, Obama won election to the United States Senate with over two-thirds of the vote. Obama is the third African American to be popularly elected to the United States Senate and the only African American currently serving in the Senate.

The Skinny Kid With a Funny Name for Prez '08!

aldine09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »
All right. But apart from the aqueduct, sanitation, the roads, medicine, education, fresh water, public baths, safety on the streets. WHAT have the (insert political party) ever done for us?

aflciu

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2007, 05:56:39 PM »
Angry at Barack Obama's recent threat to attack their home country, members of Chicago's Pakistani-American community will protest a scheduled visit by Obama tomorrow to the Devon Avenue neighborhood. The protest began assembling at the corner of Devon Avenue and Rockwell Avenue (3400 W.) in advance of Obama's visit to Mysoor Restaurant at 12.

Pakistani protesters burn a U.S. flag to condemn U.S. presidential hopeful Barack Obama's remarks, Friday, Aug. 3, 2007, in Karachi, Pakistan. Pakistan criticized Obama for saying that, if elected, he might order unilateral military strikes inside this Islamic nation to root out terrorists.

By now everyone has heard the infamous quotes from Barack Osama…oops…Obama about the possibility of invading Pakistan:

"Let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. … If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf will not act, we will."

Barack Obama, the "only candidate for President who was opposed to [the Iraq war] from the beginning", is advocating taking going in and taking out terrorists in an ally nation. Now, don't get me wrong, I use the term "ally" when referring to Pakistan quite loosely. But, let's analyze Obama's comment. "If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets" we will act to prosecute them, he says; i.e.: we will strike...somehow. Oddly enough, we have proof that Iran is doing just what Obama claims is attack worthy -- murdering Americans. There are numerous reports, stories, and evidences suggesting such. Yet, Obama does not sing the same tune there (probably because Iran is too close to Iraq, which he has staked his political career on).

"We can rattle our sabers all we want but, realistically, we don't have troops for an invasion [Iran] and surgical strikes aren't going to work."

Why would an invasion and/or surgical strikes work on Pakistan, an ally, and not Iran? After all, Pakistan is doing a HELL of a lot more than Iran in helping us combat terrorism. Iran is a state sponsor of the practice!! Al Qaeda has made Iraq the central focal point of their war on America and Obama wants us out of there. Exactly where does he stand on this war on terrorism anyway? Or has he bought into John Edwards' line of thought that this is just a "bumper sticker war"?

aldine09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »
Perhaps Iran has a stronger military than Pakistan.  Just a thought.

We are supposedly against Communism, yet we don't try to isolate China?

K a r i

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2007, 04:49:51 AM »
Senator Barack comments over how he would shift the focus of the war on terror from Iraq to Pakistan. Barack Hussein Obama attacking Muslim nations.. Hear, hear!

aldine09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »
There's a War issue?  Is that like a magazine or something?

aver

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2007, 12:27:51 AM »
It's all evident by now that on the War issue, a vote for Obama is a vote for Republican candidates ...
Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains.

escheat

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2007, 01:21:28 AM »

It's all evident by now that on the War issue, a vote for Obama is a vote for Republican candidates ...

That's been all evident right from the beginning, aver!