Law School Discussion

How do people know what others rankings are?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: How do people know what others rankings are?
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 04:21:32 AM »

As far as grade on to journals, well I don't know how it is at every school, but at FSU, just because you graded onto a journal doesn't mean anything. This is because all you have to do to grade onto a journal is finish in the top 3 of your legal writing section. And legal writing grades don't always correlate to good grades in other classes. And neither does average grades in legal writing correlate to bad grades in other classes.

Never heard of a school doing this; actually sounds like a good idea to me, since a lot of people who are good legal writers and would do well on journal may not have done as well in their other classes first semester or whatever.

NorthEast_1L

• www.jimwilsonlawblog.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 05:19:44 AM »
My understanding is that aside from those on law review, etc, you don't really know a lot of people's rankings, but can piece it together from OCI and things which give it away for some.  But I don't really know, I am only one month in.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 03:53:15 PM »

As far as grade on to journals, well I don't know how it is at every school, but at FSU, just because you graded onto a journal doesn't mean anything. This is because all you have to do to grade onto a journal is finish in the top 3 of your legal writing section. And legal writing grades don't always correlate to good grades in other classes. And neither does average grades in legal writing correlate to bad grades in other classes.

Never heard of a school doing this; actually sounds like a good idea to me, since a lot of people who are good legal writers and would do well on journal may not have done as well in their other classes first semester or whatever.

Well it's good in theory, but it sucks when you know that the people that did grade onto journals aren't necessarily the most stellar of students in everything else.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
You can piecemeal together who is at the top, but not completely.  Not everyone in the top will be doing OCI's as some already have offers, and others will be looking for positions in the government arena and they don't tend to do OCI's.  As far as the rest of the class, you will never know unless you ask and they reveal their status. 

And no, you don't have to play the grade game and compete if you don't want to.  I call those people grade addicts and tell them to just leave me alone, I'm not interested.