Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LRW not really as demanding?  (Read 723 times)

jhb241

• View Profile
    • Email
LRW not really as demanding?
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:43:32 PM »
I always hear how LRW is supposed to be the hardest course and takes up the most time. However, so far my class has only had a few assignments, all of which have been pretty easy and not really time consuming at all. The Prof. noted in the beginning that the midterm/final will take up a lot of time but everything else would be just as practice assignments. Am I missing something or is it just because we are only at the end of September?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LRW not really as demanding?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:36:04 PM »
Mostly gets bad at the end of the semester, particularly in Spring when appellate brief and oral arguments take all your time.  However, I'm not sure how uniform LRW is across different schools.

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:03:18 AM »
At my school, the reading for Legal Writing is short and easy, but there has been a ton of busy work that has been more annoying than anything. I haven't found the two short memos we've had to do so far to be tough, but along with the other little assignments we've had, they all take up time.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 02:17:25 AM »
I never read the book for LRW last year. ever

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:46:12 AM »
Personally, I found it to be a worthless experience. I am a bit biased as that was my lowest grade, to be sure, but I finished in the top 10%. So take from that what you will.

As far as my experience goes, I found that format was key to success, substance of your arguments be damned. I think this varies considerably between schools, but probably not too much. Ultimately, it was a pain in the ass. At my school, appellate writing is addressed in a 2D class (which is optional if you solicit), so we ended with a trial brief. My lowest grades were on the memos and my highest grade was on the trial brief. The best part about the program was the research component, which I found to be practical and enlightening. Apart from that, eh.

As an aside, it is far less intellectually demanding than any of the substantive courses (including lightweights, such as Torts and Criminal Law). I was not very impressed by the legal writing program here, obviously, but success in legal writing will not save you from a shortcoming in, say,  Contracts or Civil Procedure. Assuming that the credit distribution reflects this (i.e., 3 credits for writing, 6 for Torts or other substantive courses) focus your energies on the substantive courses. I spent way too much time on LRW, and not enough on other courses, in my first semester.

And, finally, even though the LRW readings are a bore and , well, worthless, read them at least a week before you start writing your assignments. Format is key, and following the format of the examples usually leads to success.

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 07:35:46 PM »
Are you talking about students at your school saying LRW is demanding, or in general?  All the schools have different programs.  Mine is actually LARW and it was demanding because we had to write a lot of memos.  They started with one section, next memo add anoter section, then a full memo.  2nd semester you do your own research and write a memo and a trial brief.  Third semester you research and write an apellate brief.  In addition to the research and writing,you have classroom busy work.  Depending on your prof, you may or may not have to read. Plus, it's all relevant if you are good at research and writing or not.  If it's easy for you, then the class is not demanding at all.  If it's hard for you, then it's very demanding.  As in all classes, it depends on your strengths and weakness, your school program, and your prof.