Law School Discussion

1Ls, how much time do you spend studying?

1Ls, how much time do you spend studying?
« on: September 24, 2006, 09:54:46 PM »
How's it going everyone?

I was wondering how long you guys spend studying?  I'm trying to get a better idea if I am doing too little or going overboard with the work I do outside of class.  I know everyone is different, but I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys.  It always seems like there is so much to do.  If there aren't briefs to do, there's outlining. If there's no outlining, there is practicing hypos and exams.  Then there are a wealth of study aids to read, etc. etc.  I find that my weekdays are taken up entirely by school from the moment I wake up to when I sleep.  There are times where I get to take a break, anywhere from 1-3 hours a day.  Is that normal for the rest of you?  My weekends are just as busy.

Your thoughts?

Re: 1Ls, how much time do you spend studying?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 09:57:23 PM »
You're doing way too much, but this is probably just a flame anyway.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:01:15 PM »
I think the same thing at times.  But I notice just as many people working the same amount as I do. 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:46:38 AM »
You're probably spinning your wheels a lot; It IS possible to understand concepts just from the reading.  If you're reading study aids just because you feel you should be doing something, well, that's part of your problem.  The only time I EVERY worked like you are was near legal writing deadlines.

JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:00:02 AM »
well i spent half my loan check on a stockpile of cocaine and aderall so i can study 21-23 hours a day without sleep or distraction .

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
It depends.  Some days I might go as long as 10 hours, but that is so I can keep my weekends free or nearly so.  I also like to be a minimum of one week ahead in the reading.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »
It depends.  Some days I might go as long as 10 hours, but that is so I can keep my weekends free or nearly so.  I also like to be a minimum of one week ahead in the reading.

At a minimum of course. What's your maximum?

NorthEast_1L

• www.jimwilsonlawblog.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »
I fail to see the advantage of being one week ahead in the reading at all times.  If anything I would see this as a pitfall, always reading your cases out of context and without an appropriate framework. What's wrong with just being 'caught up' in the reading?

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 06:10:13 PM »
Remember, it's a marathon not a track meet. You don't want to burn yourself out early. Can't hurt to try and work on some outlines, but reading study aids cover to cover is a little overkill.

Can't say I agree with reading a week ahead. I tend to forget what I read after a few days. A day or two doesn't hurt..

Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:58:46 PM »
I spend about 3 to 5 hours a day doing solid work