Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What happens to graduates from 4th tier schools?  (Read 2803 times)

proletariat

• View Profile
Re: What happens to graduates from 4th tier schools?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »
I dont have a problem with the money part of it. I'm a spoiled rich kid who wants to find something to do, other than shopping.
I thought students who graduate with a J.D. might be able to find a non-legal job. I posted this message originally to explore other career options for someone who graduated from Law School.

If this is the case, I don't see a problem.  You can always work for free and get financial outpatient care from mom and dad.

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 04:03:44 PM »
I dont have a problem with the money part of it. I'm a spoiled rich kid who wants to find something to do, other than shopping.
I thought students who graduate with a J.D. might be able to find a non-legal job. I posted this message originally to explore other career options for someone who graduated from Law School.

gawd ur not satisfied with any answer given. u r spoiled rotten. it is just as easy to go out and do the research for yourself. there are social services industries, healthcare industries (or whatever area of concentration your BA is in) obviously, that will appreciate a staff person with a JD, allbeit from a TTT. many JD individuals become executives in corporations, of any area. these JDs may never want to practice law. Go find a suitable position in an Administrative Office of the Court in some jurisdiction. There are many non-lawyers contributing to policy and procedure.

you will most likely NOT find a practicing attorney or a JD non-practicing attorney on THIS board. Go do some homework, or hire a career consultant.

Law Student NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 04:24:42 PM »

gawd ur not satisfied with any answer given. u r spoiled rotten. it is just as easy to go out and do the research for yourself. there are social services industries, healthcare industries (or whatever area of concentration your BA is in) obviously, that will appreciate a staff person with a JD, allbeit from a TTT. many JD individuals become executives in corporations, of any area. these JDs may never want to practice law. Go find a suitable position in an Administrative Office of the Court in some jurisdiction. There are many non-lawyers contributing to policy and procedure.

you will most likely NOT find a practicing attorney or a JD non-practicing attorney on THIS board. Go do some homework, or hire a career consultant.

Now that's the type of advice I was looking for. Thank you very much.

phil23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 03:03:53 AM »
Are you at the bottom of your class because you goofed off too much and didn't study or just because the exams were hard? I mean, if you're still in school and haven't been disqualified, it probably means you are getting the material at least at a C level, and you can still practice law. Even if you're doing this at a 4T, that's still impressive considering how most people are in this world.... What are your reasons for this....

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 07:05:58 PM »
Anyone who believes that people from 4th Tier schools are all unemployable and become paralegals or work at McDonalds is downright stupid.

Use the critical thinking skills you are learning in law school.  Of course the higher the ranking of a school the better your chances at some careers--like BIGLAW in NYC, federal clerkships etc.  However, the vast majority of T4 grads will get good jobs and become successful attorneys in the local area.  Some 4th Tier schools are outperforming T1s on the bar exam.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 07:46:53 PM »
  Some 4th Tier schools are outperforming T1s on the bar exam.

As some of the Tier 4's should be, when you take into account the fact that a large percentage of them "teach to the bar." When you pay for a 3 year long bar review course, you should be passing the bar.

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 07:59:16 PM »
If your school has a career services department, go talk to them.  Mine routinely offers seminars in all the different aspects of getting a job when you graduate.  They do one about non-legal careers that are available with a J.D.  There are many options out there.

However, just because you are going to a T4 school does not mean you can not get a job.  I go to a T4 school and our job placement rate is in the 80% range within 9 months of graduating.  Now, if your concerned because of your grades, then that's another story.  However, if you are already in your 3rd year, you should finish because it is a doctoral degree that can be used in many ways and it would be a shame to waste all the time and money you have already spent.

And to the people that think T4 schools should be shut down, you need to get real.  T4 schools are good schools whether your egotistical brain can comprehend it or not.  Also remember that new schools have to start somewhere.  My school is only 6 years old, you don't become a T1 overnight, but we are sure working on getting there.  And all schools "teach to the bar" you kidding yourself if you think differently. 

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 08:47:48 PM »
And all schools "teach to the bar" you kidding yourself if you think differently. 

That's absolutely ridiculous. By "teaching to the bar," I mean that a large percentage of courses involve subject areas tested on the bar and many classes focus on the law in the particular jurisdiction where their students take the bar. For instance, compare the course catalog of my school, GW, with most Tier 4 schools and you'll see what I'm talking about.

jsh26

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 02:40:03 PM »
Don't worry about a thing -- you can always lie on your resume!

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
Huge difference in teaching philosophy between the T4 I started with and the T2 I transferred to. My T4 requires 5 credits of torts/property, 6 cred of conlaw, 6 cred of civ pro, 6 cred contracts. Your second year schedule is predetermined with very little flexibility, you're required to take an upper level writing requirement, and there are hardly any electives.

The dean of my T2 basically said that everyone they accept they expect to pass the bar and that students should take a balance of bar and non-bar courses. All the first year courses are basically 3-4 credits and are done in one semester. Only a 2 credit professional responsibility and a 2 cred seminar (20 page paper of topic of your choice) are required for students after 1L. There are a bunch of electives available to choose from.