Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question on Student Etiquette, Re: Gunners, Unnecessary Commentary & Hypos, Etc.  (Read 27098 times)

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
Meanwhile, as you argue with the prof, everyone else is thinking, "Why doesn't this dumbass shut the F up so we can get out of here on time."

I was thinking this while trapped by the gunner in my LW classes during orientation week.   :(
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

njlaw

• View Profile
Your speech code would turn law school into a correspondence class from the University of Phoenix. Some students are annoying, but the law is far more gray than you take it to be. Discussion is important.

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This goes against the long-standing tradition of blending with the group but I respectfully disagree with #4, in a few rare instances. A couple weeks ago, my property professor asked the class why the defendant from the case would want to split a parcel off a larger lot (he gets his jollies from this) and wouldn't move on until someone answered the question. It wasn't in the casebook. One of my classmates raised her hand, announced she had grown up in a rural area, and explained to us dumbfounded 1Ls why people do that.

But mostly people are observing the rules of pretending they never did anything before they entered law school.

JudgeRoyBean

• View Profile
You are wasting way too much time worrying about what other people do. Focus on yourself and what you need to do to suceed in class, not on what the guy who tries to B.S. his way through a case when its obvious he didnt read it is doing.

GGI

• View Profile
This certainly raises very interesting points (and it's so true!!)

If you wish to know more about etiquette for lawyers, have a look at the following website: www.chelseapublishing.com. Chelsea Publishing has published a book called Soft Skills for Lawyers which is proving very popular among law students and new attorneys. It aims to bridge the gap between law schools and law firms as far as attorney's behaviour is concerned.

one4theteam

• View Profile
I just started my 1L a few weeks ago and from my exceptionally limited time in law school, I've come to add one to the list of gunning gunning dont's:

1)  Don't be the gunner who participates every chance you get and then start off each of your blowhard comments with "I COULD BE WRONG, but I THINK...."  We know you think you're coming up with something even more profound and novel than what you just said two minutes before, and then two minutes before that.. Catch my drift.

Actually, I've got one more. 

2)  Don't be the gunner that gets up to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, esp. if you are in the center of the front row.  At my school, this is the same person as no. 1.  But some people are of the philosophy that any attention is good attention. 

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
You should ask him in class if he gets up to go to the restroom so often because he has an enlarged prostate.  And tell him to get checked for prostate cancer.  Tell him you'll do it right then and there if he bends over and drops trou.

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Your speech code would turn law school into a correspondence class from the University of Phoenix.

You are wasting way too much time worrying about what other people do. Focus on yourself and what you need to do to suceed in class

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I enjoy gunners for the comic relief they provide, particularly when they come up with elaborate hypos, commentaries, etc. from far out of left field only to get shot down by the professor...
2L and counting...