Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question on Student Etiquette, Re: Gunners, Unnecessary Commentary & Hypos, Etc.  (Read 26925 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
Like many other 1Ls, my section has quite a few gunners. Some other section mates and I are trying to nail down some "rules of classroom etiquette" for a quasi-Socratic dialogue.  Tell me what you guys think of these rules:

1. When the professor asks you a direct question pertaining to a case, statute, or hypothetical, answer directly and in as few words/sentences as possible. Do not pontificate or wax philosophically. We are all trying to learn black-letter law, and your gray-letter hazy b.s. is frustrating that goal.

2. If you are unprepared, and the professor asks you a question, say "pass" and allow somebody else to move on (this is an option at our school) with the discussion.

3. Do not volunteer for questions or comments unless the professor invites such discussion.

4. Do not discuss personal experiences. Period.

5. Do not argue with the professor. You're a 1L. They're older than God. Do the math.

5. Do not invoke hypothetical scenarios involving some sort of factual distinction from the present rule discussed unless explicitly invited to do so by the professor.

6. Limit yourself to one question or comment during volunteer periods in class per session. Quit hogging class time trying to prove to other people in your class, who had the same GPA and LSAT score that you did, that you are smarter they are. You aren't making friends with your future colleagues.

7. Only use Instant Messenger for the purposes of making fun of the people who are presently violating these rules. Do not use AIM to talk to your significant other when you should be trying to figure our venue under federal question subject matter jurisdiction.

8. All discussion not permitted under this code shall be reserved for study groups, professor e-mails, office hours, and lonely nights in wish you alternate between Dungeons and Dragons and your casebook. For the love of God. Who is still younger than your professor.
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Are you going to take people behind the building and beat them up if they don't comply? Seems to me that while there is some peer pressure that affects behavior, a lot of it is really within the realm of the professor to manage. Do they sign on to these rules, too? (And if you don't, do you take them out back and beat them behind the building).

Interesting view of professor's ages. I've had at least one professor each semester that's younger than I am. I guess that makes me older than god, too...so I guess that means you should listen.

John Galt

• View Profile
Your rules would make for a pretty boring class. Arguing with professors is the most interesting part.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'd qualify that to say arguing with professors CAN BE the most interesting part, provided the argument is logical, clear and hasn't already been stated by other classmates. Unfortunately, too many gunners just like to hear their voices, and they don't think before talking.

Your rules would make for a pretty boring class. Arguing with professors is the most interesting part.
Georgetown

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
this is the worst set of rules ever.  what makes the list even worse are your feeble attempts at humor.  while i in no way condone "gunning" or anything of that nature, you need to leave posting nonsense to those of us that can at least make it fun to read.
pudding is delightful

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Like many other 1Ls, my section has quite a few gunners. Some other section mates and I are trying to nail down some "rules of classroom etiquette" for a quasi-Socratic dialogue.  Tell me what you guys think of these rules:

1. When the professor asks you a direct question pertaining to a case, statute, or hypothetical, answer directly and in as few words/sentences as possible. Do not pontificate or wax philosophically. We are all trying to learn black-letter law, and your gray-letter hazy b.s. is frustrating that goal.

2. If you are unprepared, and the professor asks you a question, say "pass" and allow somebody else to move on (this is an option at our school) with the discussion.

3. Do not volunteer for questions or comments unless the professor invites such discussion.

4. Do not discuss personal experiences. Period.

5. Do not argue with the professor. You're a 1L. They're older than God. Do the math.

5. Do not invoke hypothetical scenarios involving some sort of factual distinction from the present rule discussed unless explicitly invited to do so by the professor.

6. Limit yourself to one question or comment during volunteer periods in class per session. Quit hogging class time trying to prove to other people in your class, who had the same GPA and LSAT score that you did, that you are smarter they are. You aren't making friends with your future colleagues.

7. Only use Instant Messenger for the purposes of making fun of the people who are presently violating these rules. Do not use AIM to talk to your significant other when you should be trying to figure our venue under federal question subject matter jurisdiction.

8. All discussion not permitted under this code shall be reserved for study groups, professor e-mails, office hours, and lonely nights in wish you alternate between Dungeons and Dragons and your casebook. For the love of God. Who is still younger than your professor.

You forgot rule number 9: Don't make a list on classroom etiquette and post on lawschooldiscussion unless it's funny.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I concur with my bretheren in finding that lists on this discussion board must be funny, else the author shall be strung up and whipped with a wet noodle, and then left to ponder the unfunniness of the post while lying in a puddle of unfunny schmack.

Dxion

• View Profile
You suck.

980eQ

• View Profile
We only had one rule, if you are sick, stay the hell home, do not come Typhoid Mary style and get the rest of us all screwed up

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
while I also do not condone gunning, nothing wakes the class up like watching a gunner got shot down by the professor