Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Novus University School of Law  (Read 32215 times)

MuscularBitch

• View Profile
Novus University School of Law
« on: September 20, 2006, 10:34:46 AM »
Anyone out there who attends Novus University Law School? 

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Novus University School of Law
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »
I asked about it earlier. See post.

Otherwise, I recently received a notice through snail mail saying that if I haven't yet registered for classes at Novus, that I should do so immediately.

I put it into the same file as things such as the offer of a home equity loan, and loans up to $250 K. Just because I qualify doesn't mean that I should do it.

"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

Blessed1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:15:57 PM »
What's the scoop on Novus University School of Law?  Any opinions, facts, or experiences, willing to share?

OlderlawSTUDENT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:03:02 PM »
I have been a student since december 2005. Recently I tried to send my assignment via e-mail and I got an e-mail response that the address is no longer valid. I have left phone messages with the answering service for a week and still no response. Has the law school closed or can somebody tell me just what is going on. The school is still taking my finance. Does any one know where the school is located? or just what is happening?

james1968

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »
I have applied for Novus and just got off the phone with an advisor who aksed for my SSN and a Credit card number to start me on the the three year program, It is tempting because it is so affordable but I do not want to get into this program and be left out in the cold...Any words of wisdom on this? The advisor had a hard sell approach and said if I do not accept at this time I will have to wait for a year to apply again.

james1968

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »
Try looking at the web catalog at www.novus.edu
Phone number is 1-800-699-4126 Advisor name is Linda Holmes

DO/JD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:58:22 PM »
I have applied for Novus and just got off the phone with an advisor who aksed for my SSN and a Credit card number to start me on the the three year program, It is tempting because it is so affordable but I do not want to get into this program and be left out in the cold...Any words of wisdom on this? The advisor had a hard sell approach and said if I do not accept at this time I will have to wait for a year to apply again.

Hi James

Although I am, generally, an advocate of LD education law schools, Novus is not one I would recommend. If you read the fine print, you will see that all they do is help you set up a curriculum with an attorney for in-office law study not for distance education. The other thing they claim to help you with is with obtaining legal books - I have no idea about the veracity of this claim.

They telling you that if you do not give them your SSN and credit card number now that you will have to wait a year sounds like pressure selling to me. If I was you, I would opt for one of the distance legal education schools that are registered with the California Bar. Novus is not registered with the California bar, or any bar for that matter. Hope that helps!

DO/JD

james1968

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:50:50 AM »
Thank you for the update on Novus, I did some investigating and pulled the BB on them and found no complaints or actions against the school in the past ten years it has been in operation which means nothing but perhaps they may be working within the scope of the law. I just would like to speak with or hear from someone who actually gradutated from this program and see what the real deal is. I am 39 and have few options for Law school and given the fact that I have a very busy hectic schedule I do not have the 3-5 hours a day that Concord requires not to mention the money to pay 8-10K  year for this...

DO/JD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
Thank you for the update on Novus, I did some investigating and pulled the BB on them and found no complaints or actions against the school in the past ten years it has been in operation which means nothing but perhaps they may be working within the scope of the law. I just would like to speak with or hear from someone who actually gradutated from this program and see what the real deal is. I am 39 and have few options for Law school and given the fact that I have a very busy hectic schedule I do not have the 3-5 hours a day that Concord requires not to mention the money to pay 8-10K  year for this...

I reread my reply and I noticed I failed to indicate that not only doesn't Novus "teach" you anything, they do not find the attorney's/judges for you to learn with the "in-office" method. You are basically paying for (nothing) "some guidance" - read the fine print. Best wishes!

james1968

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 05:44:55 PM »
If this is the case then this is perhaps why they have not called me back or sent me any additional information. I am worried this may be a scam school that is taking money from people and notdoing anything to assist them.