Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Novus University School of Law  (Read 32674 times)

Jeannie0012

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Novus University School of Law
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 10:59:21 PM »
What's the scoop on Novus University School of Law?  Any opinions, facts, or experiences, willing to share?
Dear Discussion Members:

Novus isn't a "sham" school. Many DL (distance learning) schools do not have a campus - University of Phoenix for example (until recently) the Open and Distance Learning University in the UK and so on. Here's the thing...distance education has notoriously been considered sub-standard - yes and no. Having taken many, many course online, I can tell you all that the level of interaction, course development and delivery methods should be a primarly consideration for those of you who have never taken a distance course.

Of paramount importance when chosing any institution - traditional or DL - is that you must make sure that it is accredited. There are two types of accreditation, Regional and National. Accreditation allows you to take the credits you earn at one instituion and transfer them to another. For example, if you recieve a lesser degree from a non-accredited institution, then attempt to use that degree to obtain a higher degree (sometimes a necessary requirement) your credits will not be acknowledged. The U.S. Board of Higher Education can help you find and/or confirm whoch schools have accreditation. Generally, Regional accreditation is the one most accepted. Although Novus' information states that having accreditation does not necessarily guarantee transfer of credits - NOT having accreditation most assuredly guarantees a 99% chance another school will not allow the transfer.

Faculty interaction, student support services (including online tutoring) and accessible course design are worth their weight in gold - trust me on this. I recently graduated from the Masters in Distance Education program at University of Maryland University College. I have also been a distance education program coordinator and advisor for a Criminal Justice and Criminology program..and, as I stated, a long time distance learner. I know the difference between a well designed program and one that is not.

Although Novus is a wonderful financial "deal", you must research their qualifications, take into account what you might need in the future ("I want to teach when I grow up"), how it is you learn, time considerations and committments. Novus is, essentially, a map to help you get where you want to go - a law degree - sort of like a blue print. If you aren't an architect you may find yourself having a heck of a time building that house. Of course, this doesn't mean that you cannot get what you want from Novus, it means that you must chose what is right for you. This is what will guarantee your success.

If you have questions about a program, please feel free to contact me or view my website: www.oncoursedistanceeducation.com...I'm always happy to help. We're in the same boat!

Jeannie

depositlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »
I have been a student since december 2005. Recently I tried to send my assignment via e-mail and I got an e-mail response that the address is no longer valid. I have left phone messages with the answering service for a week and still no response. Has the law school closed or can somebody tell me just what is going on. The school is still taking my finance. Does any one know where the school is located? or just what is happening?

???

This is serious.  Someone is going to law school on the internet, and now the law school's internet address is down, and the student doesn't know where the law school physically is.

I hope they haven't charged anyone tuition.

Please, for the love of Freedom, stop going to law school on the internet.

And if you've had Chicago or Illinois landlord problems, visit http://www.depositlaw.com

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 11:57:43 PM »
I feel like I've stepped into the Twilight Zone.  Are these people frikkin' kidding?  Holy crap!

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

domyumbri

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 02:25:50 PM »
You can obtain the JD Degree From Novus, and get 26 ABA Credits and sit for the DC bar.  NOW, they do have online ABA programs I read in an online law schools book, so, you can sit for a bar w/o going the CAlifornia baby bar route and have more options. Obviously you can get the ABA credits in person DC Bar admissions says they accept novus with the ABA so they are legit. I am starting with them soon and get my 26 credits and am not taking the baby bar and 4 year study plus the 26 credits,  Novus can be done in less than 3 years

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 02:50:51 PM »
So are you California and trying to avoid the baby bar?  If so, I hope you're aware that California doesn't have reciprocity with any other state; in order to practice there, you still have to take the CA bar, but first you have to pass the bar in another state AND practice in that state for 4 years in order to qualify for the attorney's exam.

Also...from what I hear, Novus isn't exactly cheap, and 26 credits at an ABA approved school is about 1 year of courses.  Why not just do all 3 years at an approved school?  Also, what if you can't find an ABA approved school that will let you take 26 credits worth of classes??

desertstudios

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:17 PM »
Novus University School of Law is nothing but a diploma mill run by the well known Natalie (Handy) Klucz.  This is her in the video.

http://www.novus.edu/index.html

Here is a website listing some of her past dishonest activities.  She has quite a past of deception.

http://www.chugachconsumers.org/lib/LaSalleChronology.htm

This paragraph from the General Info section of her website (http://www.novusucatalog.com/generalinfo/terms_printer.htm) states:

DEGREE GRANTING EDUCATION CORPORATION
NOVUS UNIVERSITY IS INCORPORATED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE MARSHALL ISLANDS. NOVUS UNIVERSITY IS A PRIVATE POSTSECONDARY DEGREE GRANTING EDUCATIONAL CORPORATION AND ALL DEGREES ARE GRANTED BY NOVUS UNIVERSITY OF THE MARSHALL ISLANDS ,UNDER ITS  CORPORATE CHARTER AND THE AUTHORITY OF ITS BOARD OF DIRECTORS. NOVUS UNIVERSITY/NOVUS LAW SCHOOL OFFERS INSTRUCTION ONLINE ONLY AND WEB-BASED AND NOT IN ANY COUNTRY, STATE OR POLITICAL ENTITY. NOVUS UNIVERSITY/NOVUS LAW SCHOOL IS NOT ACCREDITED BY THE AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION.

If the school was legitimate,  why the need to operate from the Marshall Islands?

She currently runs the "university" from a Mail & More in Palmdale, CA.

The address of the “campus” is listed in the Notices section of her website states:

NOTICES
Except as noted should be given to General Counsel, NOVUS UNIVERSITY/NOVUS LAW SCHOOL: 3053 Rancho Vista Blvd. Suite H #187 Palmdale CA 93551

Do a Yahoo search of Mail & More locations in Palmdale, CA..  Notice the same address of 3053 Rancho Vista Blvd. Suite H.

So her university “campus” is box #187.

Don't waste your money on this scam as it only goes to her red Mercedes and fancy vacations.  Use your money towards a legitimate Law School, not a useless piece of paper.

justanothersucker

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »
Yes, but those OTHER online schools are bar approved and their grads can get a LICENSE to practice law.
All Novus can do is give something to put on a resume in hopes of latter finding a lawyer nice enough to let you intern under them (a program that could be done regardless of Novus and of which Novus takes no step in assisting in the lawyer placement process)

That plus at least other non-jd degrees are accredited by accrediting agencies reconised by the US dept of ed or at least state ed depts.
Without that you can't even legally claim to be  legit "executive JD" program.

Stop spreading lies and sell drugs like most criminals. At least then you'd be honest enough for me to respect what you say.  :-X

What's the scoop on Novus University School of Law?  Any opinions, facts, or experiences, willing to share?
Dear Discussion Members:

Novus isn't a "sham" school. Many DL (distance learning) schools do not have a campus - University of Phoenix for example (until recently) the Open and Distance Learning University in the UK and so on. Here's the thing...distance education has notoriously been considered sub-standard - yes and no. Having taken many, many course online, I can tell you all that the level of interaction, course development and delivery methods should be a primarly consideration for those of you who have never taken a distance course.

Of paramount importance when chosing any institution - traditional or DL - is that you must make sure that it is accredited. There are two types of accreditation, Regional and National. Accreditation allows you to take the credits you earn at one instituion and transfer them to another. For example, if you recieve a lesser degree from a non-accredited institution, then attempt to use that degree to obtain a higher degree (sometimes a necessary requirement) your credits will not be acknowledged. The U.S. Board of Higher Education can help you find and/or confirm whoch schools have accreditation. Generally, Regional accreditation is the one most accepted. Although Novus' information states that having accreditation does not necessarily guarantee transfer of credits - NOT having accreditation most assuredly guarantees a 99% chance another school will not allow the transfer.

Faculty interaction, student support services (including online tutoring) and accessible course design are worth their weight in gold - trust me on this. I recently graduated from the Masters in Distance Education program at University of Maryland University College. I have also been a distance education program coordinator and advisor for a Criminal Justice and Criminology program..and, as I stated, a long time distance learner. I know the difference between a well designed program and one that is not.

Although Novus is a wonderful financial "deal", you must research their qualifications, take into account what you might need in the future ("I want to teach when I grow up"), how it is you learn, time considerations and committments. Novus is, essentially, a map to help you get where you want to go - a law degree - sort of like a blue print. If you aren't an architect you may find yourself having a heck of a time building that house. Of course, this doesn't mean that you cannot get what you want from Novus, it means that you must chose what is right for you. This is what will guarantee your success.

If you have questions about a program, please feel free to contact me or view my website: www.oncoursedistanceeducation.com...I'm always happy to help. We're in the same boat!

Jeannie

justanothersucker

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »
those who "intern" under lawyers for 4 years STILL have to take the minibar. Most just aren't smart enough to look into it first.
Thus the reason they don't even have the AA degree and 120 lsat required to go to the unaccredited bar approved self paced self proctored through the mail schools that at least actually do get you licensed in the end after sitting the bar.(in theory even though some have attrition rates near 100% and first time bar pass rate below 10%)

So are you California and trying to avoid the baby bar?  If so, I hope you're aware that California doesn't have reciprocity with any other state; in order to practice there, you still have to take the CA bar, but first you have to pass the bar in another state AND practice in that state for 4 years in order to qualify for the attorney's exam.

Also...from what I hear, Novus isn't exactly cheap, and 26 credits at an ABA approved school is about 1 year of courses.  Why not just do all 3 years at an approved school?  Also, what if you can't find an ABA approved school that will let you take 26 credits worth of classes??

justanothersucker

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
yeah but why in creation would someone go to Novus and then go to a year of ABA school?
Better yet, the 26credits applies WITHOUT Novus too.
You'd be better just getting the credits, doing the extenship and taking a barbri bar prep course.
Then again at 26 credits you might as well go the rest of the way, and if you can't(probably due to GPA) then you won't pass the bar anyways and good luck finding a lawyer desperate enough to take you in the county sized area of DC. (or anywhere)

You can obtain the JD Degree From Novus, and get 26 ABA Credits and sit for the DC bar.  NOW, they do have online ABA programs I read in an online law schools book, so, you can sit for a bar w/o going the CAlifornia baby bar route and have more options. Obviously you can get the ABA credits in person DC Bar admissions says they accept novus with the ABA so they are legit. I am starting with them soon and get my 26 credits and am not taking the baby bar and 4 year study plus the 26 credits,  Novus can be done in less than 3 years

desertstudios

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »
It kinda amazes me that intelligent individuals planning on studying law would try to defend a sham like Novus.  A little research on the Internet shows that Natalie Handy, the purveyor of Novus University has a very questionable past.

Here is the Wiki link to her ex-husband, James Kirk of LaSalle Diploma mill fame.  Natalie is listed in the History section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kirk_diploma_mills

Natalie married James Kirk while he was in Federal Prison serving time for running a diploma mill.  Other articles on the Internet accuse her of running off with some of the money. Wiki describes some of her additional actions below:

“After he went to prison his wife, Natalie Handy, opened Edison University, an unaccredited distance education institution operated from a rented mail box at a Mail Boxes Etc. in Honolulu.  Edison later used the name Acton University.”

For those who may not know, Acton is a small town just south of Palmdale, CA. where Novus is currently “located” at the Mail & More mailbox.  Edison is the electric company in Southern California.

Individuals who try to defend Novus as a legitimate use of your money would have you believe that in spite of all the articles about her repeated deceptive and dishonest actions in the past, Natalie has somehow has had an awakening is as now capable of providing a legitimate educational service.  Remember that the predictor of future behavior is past behavior.  Natalie’s past behavior appears very dishonest and is well documented all over the Internet.

Before spending a single cent on this Novus diploma mill, ask yourself the following questions:

•   Can Novus produce an Organizational Chart of individuals involved with the running of the “University”, each having a separate office phone number and individual email address such as what you see with accredited universities?

•   When you read names on responses from Novus such as:

Scott Andrews
Community Services
Novus Law School

Jay Thomas
General Counsel
Novus Law School

Do they have an individual contact email or phone number under their names like a legitimate school?  Why not?  Could this just be Natalie sitting at her computer making up names to respond with?

•   Is there a single website ANYWHERE on the Internet that lists Novus as having any form of legitimate accreditation from a respected accrediting agency?  No!

•   Are there numerous legitimate websites that list Novus as a Diploma Mill?  Yes!

Novus was actually being operated out of Mississippi until that state passed a law that you had to provide proof of legitimate accreditation to operate in the state, or something like that.  I believe that was around 2006.  It appears Novus relocated to California at that time.  Imagine that!

I have personally never met Natalie and don’t have a desire to meet any individual with her documented history of dishonesty and deception.  Do a little research and you will find that her past history points to her being a person that really likes to run diploma mills, from her involvement with James Kirk and LaSalle to Edison, to Acton, and now Novus “Universities” that were and are ALL diploma mills.

If you plan to be a lawyer, and still think Novus is a good place for your money, may I recommend choosing a different career path?

If you still choose to give Natalie your money for a worthless piece of paper, buyer beware.