Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3L job search - what to do?!  (Read 6870 times)

Kaur27

• View Profile
3L job search - what to do?!
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:15:08 AM »
I just wanted to post to see where other 3Ls lie at the moment in the job search. WHat do you do (please dont say networking) if ur not in the 10% of ur class, not on law review, havent been a part of a summer program and live out of state from teh state in which ur search is targeted???? My career services office at my law school claims that someone in this position would have to wait until after u take the BAR or even after u get ur results to begin ur search. That doesnt sound right. I'm not whining. I know all teh work, choosing a law school and everything boils down to this year and this search but i just feel discouraged. Is anyone else out there?! If u are in this position or have any comments, thoughts or advice on what the options are or where to begin - how to go about it in the best way - please do share!!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 3L job search - what to do?!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:02:04 AM »
Even though you said "don't say it," Networking is your best bet.  Figure out what sort of job you want/place you want to work, and find an alum from your school that goes there, and try to meet them for coffee or offer to take them out to lunch.  Ask them how they got into what they're doing, and ask for advice for your situation (3L job search) and what they recommend for a course of action.  Additionally, by making contacts, when you are actually looking for a job (for example, if you do have to wait until you pass teh bar), you'll have a broader range of people to turn to for some help.

And go back to your career services office to ask for clarification on the bar thing.  Depending on what kind of job you're looking for (non-profit, DA, etc.) it sounds about right htat you have to take and pass the bar before they'll consider hiring you - they don't have the resources to hire you on for 3-4 months while you wait for your bar results.