Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LexisNexis ICW's for the Bluebook..... GRRR  (Read 5900 times)

pblandcsol

• View Profile
    • Email
LexisNexis ICW's for the Bluebook..... GRRR
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:35:50 AM »
Hello everyone I'm new here.... I just wanted to rant about the ICW's that LexisNexis has on their website. We are required to do them for our legal writing and research class.... which is a big bummer.

My teacher has not taught/shown us anything about the bluebook and its usage. Just going through these exercises really discourages me as far as doing the legal citations. I feel like there is a lot of helpful information in the bluebook but you actually have to KNOW how to use it. I was wondering if there was a tutorial or guide that went through step by step for common tasks of using the bluebook.

I found a book that LexisNexis publishes and it's called the Interactive Citation Workbook for The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation by McGaugh, Hurt, Holloway, 2006 Edition. The synopsis of the book says,
The Interactive Citation Workbook for The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation breaks down the labyrinthine rules of The Bluebook citation rules into small units that build and reinforce citation drafting skills. Individual chapters include explanatory text with examples, a checklist summary of the text, and a citation exercise to reinforce the rules covered in the chapter. The authors recommend that users read the chapters and do the exercises in the order in which they appear.

Has anyone used this book? If so, was it helpful in understanding how to use the bluebook? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thank you!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LexisNexis ICW's for the Bluebook..... GRRR
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 07:14:25 AM »
There's not much to understand about the bluebook.  YOu learn by using it, and it's not something your teacher can teach you without putting everyone into a coma, IMO.  Do the exercises, *READ* the bluebook rule for each citation and all the exceptions.  Flip through the appendix with the appreviations.  The only real thing I needed to be told about it was that the blue pages are for writing court documents, and we don't need to worry about htose for law review.

Stop looking for handholding, and start using your citation manual.  If you have questions, go to the prof.  You'll find its really not that difficult and its more tedious than anything.

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LexisNexis ICW's for the Bluebook..... GRRR
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:12:41 PM »
Yes, I use that workbook you mention.  The exercises are identical to the ones on the ICW site.  In addition, the book does provide some commentary on the Bluebook rules and some examples, but you really learn by doing.  I think the book sells for something like $25, so if you have the money to blow, go ahead.  But, the exercises are exactly the same as the ones on the website, so if you can learn how to use the Bluebook (which is a real pain, I know) then I'm not sure it's worth it.  Having said that, the workbook does have a nice concise checklist of the rules' requirements at the end of each section to help figure out which Rule you need to use. 

See if your bookstore has a copy of the workbook and look through it.  I think you'll find that it's somewhat helpful but I can't be your judge as to whether or not it's worth your investment.