Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI question  (Read 3094 times)

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI question
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 07:15:11 PM »
The percentage of people getting jobs through OCI varies considerably by school. I think at Mich the percentage is around 75% or something.

Firms do look at resumes/transcripts from people outside of their OCI. This is particularly true of firms with limited resources that just can't afford to go to schools all over the country. I think there are typically a number of job fairs you can go to but a lot of them have already occurred. A mass mailing couldn't hurt. As they say, all you need is one offer.

Bored 3L

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »
You're not out of the runnings until you receive a rejection letter.

If the firm called your friend back and you still haven't heard, it probably means either that your rejection letter is in the mail, or more optimistically, that they liked you enough to keep you around for further consideration, but not enough to call you back in the first round of interviews.  If your classmates don't get offers, or if they receive offers and promptly reject them, you may then get the call. 

As your experience demonstrates, in many instances, good grades just gets you the interview, and after that, whether you get a call back depends largely on your performance in the interview.  That said, I do think there is often a sliding scale of sorts.  By that I mean that a student from Harvard or from a lesser school with great grades, for example, can get away with a lot more than less qualified candidates.

johnnylongtorso

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 08:18:48 PM »
The vast majority of students DO NOT get jobs through OCI. I'd guess a rough estimate of maybe 10% get their jobs that way.  Everyone else does it the hard way by networking, going out and meeting people in fields they're interested in and making contacts, researching firms and jobs they'd like, and sending out targeted cover letters and resumes.

This is true only at crappy schools.  Nearly all students at good schools get their jobs through OCI.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 08:53:41 PM »
Define "crappy" and "good."  If your definition of "good" only applies to the T-14, then you may be right.  But this is the case at a good number of T1 schools, not to mention the other tiers.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 11:39:29 PM »
If other students have heard about a callback and you didn't I am assuming you didn't get one.
That said, if only 4 firms came to your school, I would say the vast majority of the students dont get jobs through OCI. Especiall since OCI usually invovles large firms who require top 10% and such. By default, that eliminates 80% of your class.

My career services person told me the next option after an unsucessful OCI was to search Martidale and find firms in the area you would want to work at and then call them. Ask about their opportunities for summer jobs. If they tell you they aren't interested, get the name of the hiring partner and send your resume anyway. Lots of jobs happen because the right resume falls into their hands at the right time (ie, the time they need to hire someone)
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »
I had an OCI with a fairly big firm (100 attorneys) almost 3 weeks ago. The interview went very well and the interviewer said they would be making decisions "quickly" but I still have not heard anything, no letter, no call. however for a few days apparently my voice mail didnt record a few messages. Is there an appropriate way to contact the firm to see if i missed some correspondence? any suggestions?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 11:29:40 AM »
Yes, give them a call.

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 11:34:22 AM »
To the OP-

You need to be spamming firms. Miami is a large market with the vast majority of practitioners located in mid or small sized firms. So, that is one reason only 4 came to your campus. The other reason is that your school is only recently accredited. So, firms do not have a need to come to your school since they can go to UF, UM, and also deal with the thousands of write-in candidates that are trying to break into South Florida.

Is this discouraging? Of course.

Can you make it around these obstacles and get a job in your market? Of course.

I just returned from a callback at a biglaw firm in Miami (I live in DC) and interviewed with two people who graduated from your school. So, it is possible. What you need to do is start sending things out to everywhere in Miami. You can never cast your net to wide. Your grades are top notch. You have recognition with the awards. The only problem is your law school. But, that is not such a huge problem that you will not be able to find a job in your market.