Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI question  (Read 3112 times)

elantra2004

• View Profile
OCI question
« on: September 13, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »
I had my OCI yesterday with a BigLaw firm and I just got word from a classmate that they got a callback an hour ago. I still havent heard anything. Is it over yet?
Also, If I don't get a callback, did I royally screw up the interview? I am Top 8%, 2 Book awards. The classmate who got the call back is top 20%, no book awards, but more work experience (and MBA I think).

Thoughts?

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: OCI question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »
Screwing up the interview is always a possibility. On the other hand, the MBA and extensive work experience, as well as the fact that he may have a niche interest in which they're needing additional folks, will often make up the difference of a few percentage points. I've seen much stranger things happen.

johnnylongtorso

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
Did you have the same interviewer?  If so, then maybe you're screwed.  Especially if you go to a kind of crappy school, because biglaw firms are not going to call many of you back.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 07:20:04 AM »
  Its possible that you screwed up the interview; its also possible that numbers were just against you (they have so few spots to give for callbacks, esp. since your school is probably 1 of 30 or more that they're doing OCI at), and they happened to like your friend - or more likely, your friend's resume - a little bit more.

elantra2004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 09:53:09 AM »
Still havent heard back so I'm assuming I wasn't picked.

I thought the interview went well, seemed like we had a good rapport right from the start. But of course, now that I think back, I remember things I probably should have said/tweaked the things I did say. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.

My real question is this: OCI is pretty much over at my campus and I didn't get a single callback. Only like 4 Biglaw firms came to my school. What's my next move? Start spamming every firm in the area (there are lots...large metro area) with my resume? Unfortunately i'm new to the area and don't really have many contacts at any other firms.

Anyone else feel really frustrated that they busted their a** getting to the top of the class only to not help when you need it? Or am I the only one...

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 11:05:34 AM »
Where do you go to school? Do you not have a career development office? You should have been taught by now how to write a cover letter for an unsolicited job inquiry. 

elantra2004

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:43:39 AM »
I have no problem writing an unsolicted cover letter. My question was more along the lines of whether this is even effective. With no connections inside the firm, won't my letter and resume just become lost in the shuffle (regardless of my ranking)?

I'm curious: Does anyone know how many law students get offers through OCI each year compared with unsolicited attempts outside of the OCI process?

fushyuki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
3L Friends who summered at firms said their career offices do sometimes take flyers on non-OCI students, especially if they have good credentials or interesting backgrounds.  I have gotten a few full interviews off of the unsolicited resume drop.  It also may help you if you can locate an undergrad alumnus connection at your target firm.  These people tend to wax nostalgic about the good ol' days.

The most important thing is to make yourself available to employers.  I was going to be in a target market for a callback, so I called a firm I had not heard from (but others had) and said I would be in town; would they like to see me?  They did, and I now have a callback.  Sometimes you just need to be proactive.

Looking in non-traditional, but very good legal markets might also help.  Delaware is a strong corporate market, but really doesn't have any stellar local law school.  Good credentials from a reputable school can get you into the market (or others like it with few regional law schools).  A job is a job, and if you keep your good marks up you can either lateral after a year's experience or clerk after law school and get a second crack at the job market.

Also keep in mind that mid-sized and small firms don't know their hiring needs until the last minute.  If you can't snag something through OCI, you will likely be able to beat out 1Ls for summer spots with these employers.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »
I have no problem writing an unsolicted cover letter. My question was more along the lines of whether this is even effective. With no connections inside the firm, won't my letter and resume just become lost in the shuffle (regardless of my ranking)?

I'm curious: Does anyone know how many law students get offers through OCI each year compared with unsolicited attempts outside of the OCI process?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Like the last poster alluded to, do some research on your target firms and find some similarities you might have with partners, etc. I suggest Martindale's through Lexis. You can search people at a firm by undergrad or law school they attended. Put some good stuff in that cover letter that will make them take a look at the resume. A lot of firms will only take those unsolicited if they don't fill up in OCI, but you won't know until you start calling up firms and sending those resumes out.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »
The vast majority of students DO NOT get jobs through OCI. I'd guess a rough estimate of maybe 10% get their jobs that way.  Everyone else does it the hard way by networking, going out and meeting people in fields they're interested in and making contacts, researching firms and jobs they'd like, and sending out targeted cover letters and resumes.