Law School Discussion

How difficult is the transition from Military/JAG to civilian?

How difficult is the transition from Military/JAG to civilian?
« on: September 10, 2006, 12:47:05 PM »
I'm very interested in doing a tour in the military active duty for about 3 years.  Does anyone have any experience on how difficult it is transition from military to civilian jobs?  I have talked to some JAG officers who said it is pretty difficult in all honesty but these were only two people.  Also, when you enter JAG, is there anyway to have a preference on what type of law you practice?  Thanks

lipper

• View Profile
Re: How difficult is the transition from Military/JAG to civilian?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:05:15 PM »
i've researched the JAG (Air Force) pretty thoroughly and I have found that it pretty much depends on your experience in the JAG, as well as what you want to do after. For instance, if you want to do criminal law and did mostly military justice while in the JAG, then it wouldn't be too hard to transition over. Same goes with contracts.  Infact, with respect to contract law, you might even be in a better position to transition over due to the fact that contract law is pretty much the same whether it is in the military or civilian. However, and this is what a lot of JAG's get pigeon-holed(sp?) into, is during your tour in the JAG you do primarily military justice. But the problem is, when u get out, u want to practice civil law. This creates problems.

As far as choosing what area you want to practice, while you do fill out a "preference sheet" indicating your preferred area of law, I am told that the military's needs go first.