Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tell me great gunner stories  (Read 2149 times)

db2ur

• View Profile
Tell me great gunner stories
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:05:02 AM »
I love to hear all about gunners & their ways...please share, those of you in school.

jjason

• View Profile
Re: Tell me great gunner stories
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »
Anytime some a-hole repeatedly shoots their arm into the air, I want to puke.

JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:19:03 PM »
We have a gunner in property we call the summarizer, every 20 minutes he feels it important to raise his hand, disrupt the flow of class and state what was just brought up / argued / written on the board for the last 20 minutes.  This is an hour and a half class, so he does it at least 4 times a class.  Also if the prof says, "I want to spend 5 minutes on this area, they're entire courses dealing with this sub-topic (ie wills and trusts)" He'll feel compelled to ask her questions and state hypos about wills and trusts for a half hour. 

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:15:27 AM »
Right when I started law school, we had the classic over-zealous young buck in the front row who would constantly ask questions that were off point, or well beyond the scope of the professor's lecture.  It actually got to the point where the prof would ask the class a question, he would raise his hand, then ask a completely unrelated question back to the prof without answering the question the prof asked. 

After a few weeks of that crap, I decided I'd calculate how much money this guy was costing the class per minute of wasted time.  At about $1/minute/student (tuition + books), with 90 students in class, it came out to about $90/minute.  But I didn't stop there.  I went ahead and built a spreadsheet macro on my computer that would trigger with the press of a button, and it would start counting $$$$ throughout his rants and the obligatory responses by the professor.  Each of his useless interruptions ended up costing the class an average of $120 of wasted class time.  In my book, any time you ask a question in class, it should be clear, concise, and worth the money it's about to cost everyone.  You have to ask yourself, "is this a $120 question?"  Otherwise save it for office hours.

It's like some people are raised not to understand that everything you do impacts those around you in some way.  Dudes like that are just one of many reasons the draft should be reinstated -- no sense of teamwork, discipline, judgment or situational awareness.

"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

aestuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 04:19:07 AM »
Who are more likely to become gunners in your experience: the non-traditionals or the really young guys?  Men or women?

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:57:03 AM »
Young guys.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:02:10 AM »
And the old guys who still think they are young guys.

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 07:05:42 AM »
And the old guys who still think they are young guys.

:D

Law Student NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 12:59:38 AM »
Right when I started law school, we had the classic over-zealous young buck in the front row who would constantly ask questions that were off point, or well beyond the scope of the professor's lecture.  It actually got to the point where the prof would ask the class a question, he would raise his hand, then ask a completely unrelated question back to the prof without answering the question the prof asked. 

After a few weeks of that crap, I decided I'd calculate how much money this guy was costing the class per minute of wasted time.  At about $1/minute/student (tuition + books), with 90 students in class, it came out to about $90/minute.  But I didn't stop there.  I went ahead and built a spreadsheet macro on my computer that would trigger with the press of a button, and it would start counting $$$$ throughout his rants and the obligatory responses by the professor.  Each of his useless interruptions ended up costing the class an average of $120 of wasted class time.  In my book, any time you ask a question in class, it should be clear, concise, and worth the money it's about to cost everyone.  You have to ask yourself, "is this a $120 question?"  Otherwise save it for office hours.

It's like some people are raised not to understand that everything you do impacts those around you in some way.  Dudes like that are just one of many reasons the draft should be reinstated -- no sense of teamwork, discipline, judgment or situational awareness.

The above comments seem to be the type only a gunner would make...hmmm....

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 04:36:23 AM »

The above comments seem to be the type only a gunner would make...hmmm....

Pure conclusion with no analysis.  Congratulations...you've just wasted more of the class's valuable time just to hear the sound of your own keystrokes. 

Gunner.   ;) ;D 
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator