Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: after an OCI  (Read 4766 times)

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
Re: after an OCI
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 07:16:50 PM »
Our CSO had a presentation which gave us the same stats. In the Chicago market, if you get a call back, it's a 50-70% chance of getting an offer.

I don't think that is accurate. I had a "call back" interview and I asked how many interviews they did. The recruiting co-ordinator prefaced the remark by telling me the firm gets "thousands" of apps, and then proceeded to say they did over 100 "call-back" interviews; they only hire about 12-20.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 09:14:26 AM »
The recruiting co-ordinator prefaced the remark by telling me the firm gets "thousands" of apps, and then proceeded to say they did over 100 "call-back" interviews; they only hire about 12-20.
Right I'm not sure you're factoring in how many people refuse offers. Some firms almost certainly could have 100 callbacks, give out 50-70 offers and expect 12-20 to accept.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 07:30:22 PM »
That's 100% right in terms of the information our CSO guy gave us.

The CSO explanation of why the market is favorable for law students is that, at least in regard to Chicago, many LA/DC/NYC firms are expanding into the city. So now the "homegrown" law firms from Sidley/Winston/Kirkland on down have to compete not only with each other but from these new branch offices.
For the top students in the Chicago schools, that means a lot more callbacks and offers.

My call back was a 4 hour series of "interviews" in which it was lawyer after lawyer selling the perks/benefits of their office over the competition.

Still seems pretty f-ing competitive to land something if you are not on Law Review though.
Air Force JAG Corps

Bored 3L

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:58:05 AM »
Our CSO had a presentation which gave us the same stats. In the Chicago market, if you get a call back, it's a 50-70% chance of getting an offer.

I don't think that is accurate. I had a "call back" interview and I asked how many interviews they did. The recruiting co-ordinator prefaced the remark by telling me the firm gets "thousands" of apps, and then proceeded to say they did over 100 "call-back" interviews; they only hire about 12-20.

No, that statistic is probably about right, you're not taking into account that the firm has to give many more offers than will be accepted.  If a firm has a summer class of 12-20 -- which I assume is what you mean when it says that it hires 12-20 -- then it probably had to extend around 50 offers.  It's rare for a student to only have one offer.  Generally, students will have multiple offers and, because most firms aren't into splitting, will have to narrow it down to one.  Firms know this, and based on their historical acceptance rates, will end up extending many more offfers than will be accepted. 

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 11:23:33 AM »
i had a call back on monday and received a rejection letter by sat ... didn't take them very long to get it out ...

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »
I interviewed with two firms two weeks ago. And a public defender (state) three weeks ago. All promised notification within the next couple of weeks. None delivered. Based on the fact that other firms got in touch with other students within 1-2 weeks, I think that it is pretty much over (with the possible exception of the PD, which is in a completely different position).

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »
Some state governments tend to strange with notifications. Last year almost all the state agencies I interviewed with got back to me later then they said they would.