Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living right by the law school?  (Read 715 times)

jhb240

• View Profile
    • Email
Living right by the law school?
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:32:09 AM »
I just started but I still need a place (no particular rush). I was wondering if it's a good idea to live right by the law school? I found a nice place that is just like 2-3 blocks away from the school. Does anyone have any experiences with this, is it a drag or is it a huge luxury? I currently live about 40 minutes from the school, so it will definitely be a change if I take it.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Living right by the law school?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:49:22 AM »
Luxury. Time is precious in law school. You done good.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:10:53 AM »
As with most things in law school...it depends. In general, it's a good thing as you don't have long strolls to the library, classes, etc. Personally, I'd rather not live right near school, but that makes early classes just that much rougher when I have to get up for the commute.

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:52:27 PM »
At least for the first year, I recommend living close. It helped me a lot. As far as second year, to each their own. I liked the convenience, so I stayed. I do not know what you were alloted for first year loans, but I took out less than 1K what I was given, and I do not know that I would have had enough for the kind of gas required to commute that distance (and this city does not have effective public transportation).

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »
If you don't live nearby, public transport is great. If you're going to spend time commuting, it's best if it's productive time for reading or whatever.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 11:01:11 PM »
One problem I've found in living close to the law school is that I end up taking too much work home with me, which means I put it off until the last moment. There is also the temptation to go home and take a nap during a lull in the day, instead of staying at school and getting some work done.

Living a distance away allows me to put a buffer between school and home, which I need, and allows me to successfully treat law school as a job (a time-honored way to positive results in law school). Of course, this is just what I've found works for me.

jhb240

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:05:30 AM »
I just started but I still need a place (no particular rush). I was wondering if it's a good idea to live right by the law school? I found a nice place that is just like 2-3 blocks away from the school. Does anyone have any experiences with this, is it a drag or is it a huge luxury? I currently live about 40 minutes from the school, so it will definitely be a change if I take it.

I forgot to mention that I am an evening student, if that makes any difference. I am not working during the day, however. Yeah, I will definitely be saving on gas and all that.

The only possible problem that I was thinking of was just being too close and maybe too "obsessed" with the school, you know what I mean?

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 04:21:03 AM »
I'm not sure that it's possible to become "too obsessed" with law school, unless that means it causes your wife to run off with the cable guy, your kids are stuck in clothes that are two sizes too small because no one takes them shopping, and your dog dies because no one feeds him any more.  In that case, yeah, you might be too obsessed.

I live just about a mile from my school, and it takes me 6 minutes to drive over there.  COmpared to the poor schlobs that put up with 30-45 minute commutes, and I have an extra hour every day to get stuff done.
Emory '09

LSN

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:51:54 AM »
Take it from a kid who lives literally 2 minutes away from his law school (driving distance)...the benefits outweigh any possible cons. 

1. You save SO much time in terms of driving and traffic.

2. You gain more time to study...or sleep in...either way it's to your benefit.

3. Time really is critical in law school and I love not having to worry about morning traffic.

4. I can come home during even 1/2 hour breaks...which I find is good for you as a law student.  Being surrounded by  nothing but law rhetoric and law students for the entire day really gets on my nerves.  I like to "escape" even if it is for a little while. 

5. I save $$$ on gas (obviously)...for some this isn't an issue but for others it is a big deal.

6. Who cares if you're near the law school? Unless you're living in a very shady neighborhood I wouldn't really worry about it.  And if the neighborhood really is shady, well then that has more to do with your surroundings than the law school itself.