Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP WITH PAGE #'s BEFORE I GO CRAZY  (Read 542 times)

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP WITH PAGE #'s BEFORE I GO CRAZY
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:53:24 PM »
ok i have been playing around with MSWORD all day trying to figure out how to do this. Someone please help me! Ok, here is the problem...Lets say your writing an App. Brief, you have your sections (ie. q's presented, table of contents, table of authorities, and then your argument section. you want your first five pages with roman numerals in the footer, but then you want your argument section to start with page 1 in standard numerical format. So how do you get WORD to do the first 5 pages in i,ii,iii, iv, v, and then have the argument start with page 1?? Please dont tell me to create 2 different word docs, it must be one complete doc. Please someone help me!!!!

blawg

• View Profile
Re: HELP WITH PAGE #'s BEFORE I GO CRAZY
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 10:58:17 PM »
i struggled with this in the past...it is a pain...when you go to the menu bar and select insert page #, there should be a little popup...select the format button, when you select format, start with a new section...also, make sure you have section breaks in your paper

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:05:08 PM »
thanks, do you know what kind of section break?

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:10:46 PM »
continuous

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »
omg, im still not getting it, i know..im technically useless. is someone is bored and can spell it out like for a 2 year old i would greatly appreciate it

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:38:33 PM »
1. open a new Word document
2. click the P symbol or type ctrl+*
3. go to insert menu --> break...
4. since this is a blank doc, under section break types, choose next page (this will give you a second page so you can get the different page numbers -- continuous works as well in a doc you're already working on)
5. go to view menu --> header and footer (a toolbar shows up, as well as the header/footer area of the doc) --> then choose the footer of the first page
6. click the "insert page number" symbol on the header/footer toolbar
7. click on the "format page number" symbol or right-click on the page number you just inserted, then change the number format to small roman numerals
8. click "show next" on the toolbar to go to the footer on the next page, which is also the next section
9. click on the "same as previous" symbol so that it is *not* selected anymore -- it is selected by default
10. format the page number on the second page as desired, i.e. numerals, but restart page numbering at (1)

hope that helps!

robmelone

• View Profile
    • LawThug
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »
continuous works as well in a doc you're already working on)

Well said, except for the part about continuos section breaks. . .they are used when you are using columns and want them to be even.  Use the "next page" section breaks and you should be fine.

Styles make doing your appelate brief a lot easier, by the way, but. . .first things first!

Have fun!

Rob
http://www.cafepress.com/lawthug

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »
thanks a lot guys i finally got it straight.

robmelone

• View Profile
    • LawThug
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 08:10:56 PM »
Good deal. . .so, before long you will be able to start on the "heart" of word: Styles!

Hang in there!
Rob
http://www.cafepress.com/lawthug