Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for part time evening students  (Read 696 times)

jsb241

• View Profile
    • Email
Question for part time evening students
« on: August 28, 2006, 12:47:06 PM »
I just started a part time evening program. So far I am actually pretty surprised at the work load, considering it is part time. My school makes us take 4 classes, while the full time program has 5 so there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. It just kind of seems like the school underplays its portrayal of the part time program from what I've experienced so far. Everyone I have spoken to has told me they are not working and do no plan to work, which I find ironic. At the orientation, I believe only a handful of students raised their hands when asked if they were working AT ALL. I actually chose the part time over the full time because I thought it would be just that, a part time program that would make for a much easier transition that is not so "hardcore." Also, I liked the option of working on the side but I don't think that's going to happen now. Maybe it's just because it is 1L?

Have any other evening students experienced this?

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question for part time evening students
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:01:20 PM »
I'm just starting part-time this week. I get the opposite impression. Most of the people I've met have full-time jobs (one person even has a full-time job AND a part-time weekend job). There are a few people who are not working, but they've been the exception instead of the rule.
Georgetown

Kaliope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 01:17:10 PM »
I'm starting my second year of part time night classes.  Yeah, most people don't work. It was implied that the night program was for working students.  It's irritating b/c our grades are curved and people who can study 80 hours a week have a clear advantage over those who can only study 40.  It also makes moot court and Law Review a much bigger commitment.

Oh well, it's temporary.

bayarealawschool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 01:19:44 PM »
i just started a p/t as well - and it seems like most people aren't working b/c it is only one less class than f/t and still a ton of work.  this surprised me as well.

wblaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:05:45 PM »

Interesting.  I can only think of a few people in the evening program who aren't working at least part time, around 20 hours, but most are working 40+ hrs.  The only exceptions I know of are those who are taking care of kids during the day, and then go to school at night, or those who quit mid-semester and will switch to full time next semester.

Not working and going PT is an interesting way to do it.  Same tuition, but another year of lost income on top.  Starting PT and working is a great way to get your feet wet and see if law school is really for you.

barney0361

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 04:04:57 PM »
I just started PT too, and I have to agree that I'm a little irked by the number of my classmates who aren't working.  It's hard not to be irritated when I struggle to get to class on time after a full day at the office, only to find a class room full of people in shorts and sandals filling three quarters of the room while the shirt-and-tie crowd files into the nose-bleed seats.

These kids have no job, and less than a full time schedule.It's really not fair to put us all on the same curve, but what can you do?  I'm happier to have the paycheck. Plus, I get to fantasize about the job interview one day when the interviewer asks and they have to explain that they went part time not because they were working, but just because they were lazy.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:08:28 PM »
Having more free time doesn't translate into being a good student. In fact, I bet many students at the top of the curve are those who work full-time, because they know how to manage every hour.

I just started PT too, and I have to agree that I'm a little irked by the number of my classmates who aren't working.  It's hard not to be irritated when I struggle to get to class on time after a full day at the office, only to find a class room full of people in shorts and sandals filling three quarters of the room while the shirt-and-tie crowd files into the nose-bleed seats.

These kids have no job, and less than a full time schedule.It's really not fair to put us all on the same curve, but what can you do?  I'm happier to have the paycheck. Plus, I get to fantasize about the job interview one day when the interviewer asks and they have to explain that they went part time not because they were working, but just because they were lazy.
Georgetown

barney0361

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »
Could be. That said, I'd sure like to have that many extra hours to manage.

robmelone

• View Profile
    • LawThug
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 06:37:32 PM »
I was surprised at how many of my fellow PT evening students don't work.  Kind of an unfair advantage.  Don't worry it gets worse and then it gets better.  My 2nd semester 1L was hell because I spent 75% of my time on the 1 unit legal writing class.  Just keep things in perspective.

Rob
http://www.cafepress.com/lawthug