Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How should I study the UCC?  (Read 956 times)

NorthEast_1L

• www.jimwilsonlawblog.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
How should I study the UCC?
« on: August 28, 2006, 12:02:41 PM »
In my contracts course I notice we are using the UCC right off the bat, and the professor has asked us to reference it.  How exactly is the best way to study the UCC?  Does is completely depend on my professor, or is there a general strategy? 
Jim

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
Re: How should I study the UCC?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:07:56 PM »
memorize it - HTH...

actually, it will be totally prof dependent. Our exam was open book, so we could get by with knowing how to find things in the UCC...

Of course on the exam, most of what I need about indivdual codes was found in my outline, so I don't think I even cracked the book during the exam...

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 04:01:45 PM »
For my contracts class, we used UCC sections in conjunction with the area being studied. Where you have one, the UCC rule should be the rule for that section. (Depending on if you're discussion what's been adopted vs. what's current UCC, etc., etc.) Where there's not a UCC rule, there'll be a common law rule.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »
CALI is excellent for learning how the UCC operates.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:32:16 PM »
There's no general strategy for learning how to interpret statutes.  You just have to roll up your sleeves and do it. 

robmelone

• View Profile
    • LawThug
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 10:29:20 AM »
I think the best thing to do is try to break down each of the rules into smaller elements.  Some of the UCC is well set up for this 2-205 and 2-207 instantly call to mind.  Oh what fun you will have with those!

Hope this helps!

Rob

http://www.audiocasebook.com/

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 01:13:04 PM »
A friend who just finished law school gave me a great little book, The ABC's of the UCC. It's not very long, and it translates the provisions into plain English, along with concrete examples. I only have the book for Article 2, since that's what contracts focuses on. But Article 1 probably is worth getting as well.
Georgetown