Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OK, this is just BS...  (Read 3498 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
OK, this is just BS...
« on: August 24, 2006, 03:00:27 PM »
So I got my first announcement on Black Board for section 2D, Con Law, Prof. Robertson. The message reads:

The assignment for the first class is a handout on historical background of the enactment of the Constitution that is available in 3.118 from Ms. Jolyn Piercy, my administrative assistant.

That's great, cause I would rather go all the way over there to get a handout that could be scanned and put on BB.

Please note that we will do an advance make-up class on Friday, September 1, at 10:30-11:20 in 3.124.

Eh, already have Friday classes so not a terrible deal.

A syllabus and list of assignments for the course may be found on BB under Documents.

Why isn't it under the Syllabus tab? Oh well.

As explained in the syllabus, no computers may be open or used in class.

Awesome, $2500 well spent on that laptop - especially since I write about 6 words per minute in complete chicken scratch...
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Re: OK, this is just BS...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:28:14 PM »
Kadens has the same rule.  I'm interested in seeing how that works.  The thought of dozens of clicking keyboards in my other classes is a little distressing to me, but I've been out of school for six years so I don't know if the noise is more of a bother than having to re-type notes.

My concern is that I write very slowly and very poorly. My ability to capture information via handwriting is very limited. Perhaps a tape recorder will be called for.
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »
I've also had lecturers suggest not to take any notes at all during class, lest we miss what he is saying.  Whenever you start to take notes, it entails writing about something the professor has already said, which distracts you from listening to what he is currently saying.

I'll still be taking notes, though.  I must say that my notes from UG were sparse, except in the class for Ancient History where we had no textbook, so we had to remember everything the professor said.

ut2lblah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 04:41:09 PM »
99% of people bring their laptops. It's a lot more boring if you don't. I highly recommend that you bring yours, if you have one. I had to get my laptop repaired and had to write for a whole week. It was terrible.

margee

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:44:34 AM »
Am I the only person who actually prefers writing rather than typing and who actually intended on writing ALL my notes?

K.  Just checking.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:28:58 AM »
Am I the only person who actually prefers writing rather than typing and who actually intended on writing ALL my notes?

K.  Just checking.

Yes.  Some of us sucked at penmanship in school.  Others of us just type much faster than we an write.  Still others figure it'll be easier to have everything typed up and use search functionality on our notes when studying for the tests, since it'll go into the laptop for that we may as well type it in from the start.

Someone said they already had to send their notebook back for repairs, so you may not be the only one writing them, just the only one writing them who has a choice in the matter.  :)