Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback interviews  (Read 11191 times)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Callback interviews
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 07:29:45 PM »
Well thanks for the "advice", but seeing how my Career Director is the one who has a relationship with the particular firms that conduct OCI at my school, I'll follow her advice, and not some random internet people's advice. I think she has a little bit more insight into these particular firms and whether or not they appreciate thank you notes after screening interviews or not.

Just because the firms that interview at your schools don't appreciate thank you notes, doesn't mean that the firms that interview at my school don't.

Thanks for the opinions, but you know what they say about opinions...

Easy there, big fella.  Take a deep breath.  I think it should be obvious at this point that you aren't getting very good advice, and that unless some different, unusual firms interview only at your school, they don't want or expect a thank-you note after a screening interview.  Admittedly, you seem to have some insecurities about not going to a T14, so maybe the small firms that interview at your school do want thank-you notes.  But it doesn't help anybody when you act like this woman in your OCS office is omnipotent.

Are you still speaking? Like I said, do us all a favor and head on over to xoxoth.

johnnylongtorso

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 08:21:19 PM »
I don't see why you're so defensive about this.  Nobody is saying that it's your fault you got crappy advice from career services.  How many more people need to confirm that it's a bad idea to send thank-you notes after a screening interview before you'll believe it?

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 11:12:17 AM »
one rejection letter and one call back thus far - the call back came within 48 hours of the interview (DC firm)

going on two weeks from my first interviews now... must say, doesn't look promising in terms of receiving a call back from those firms (unless they're just slow, which is somewhat improbable given the nature of the FIP)

but whatever, all i need is one ;)

regarding the thank you letters: we were also told not to send to them. apparently the odds of them ever reaching the people who are deciding on your file before they the decision is made are slim to none ... but i suppose in principle the gesture is still nice

johnnylongtorso

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »
one rejection letter and one call back thus far - the call back came within 48 hours of the interview (DC firm)

going on two weeks from my first interviews now... must say, doesn't look promising in terms of receiving a call back from those firms (unless they're just slow, which is somewhat improbable given the nature of the FIP)

but whatever, all i need is one ;)

regarding the thank you letters: we were also told not to send to them. apparently the odds of them ever reaching the people who are deciding on your file before they the decision is made are slim to none ... but i suppose in principle the gesture is still nice

Without knowing more, it's tough to say how bad your chances are.  I'm guessing you go to GW, but again, if you interviewed with smaller firms, they might take longer to get back to you, just because they wait for the hiring committee to meet (which is usually weekly or every other week) before making callbacks.  The fact that most people were on vacation either this week or last can slow the process down.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »
I don't see why you're so defensive about this.  Nobody is saying that it's your fault you got crappy advice from career services.  How many more people need to confirm that it's a bad idea to send thank-you notes after a screening interview before you'll believe it?

500 more people

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »
I'm sure it varies quite a bit from firm to firm but in all, how does the hiring decision get made?
Do all the people that I met on the call-back vote? Are there more people involved who read my resume/notes from the interviews?
Air Force JAG Corps

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »

500 more people

Update: I received two call-backs yesterday. One was from an screening interview that occured 14 days prior (and this was a large national firm too) and the other was from a screening interview that occured 19 days prior. (mid-sized firm)

So I guess the thank-you letters that I sent didn't hurt.

The lesson out of this is that not every firm gives you a call-back or rejection within a few days.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 11:47:27 PM »
I send thank you notes because it's the proper thing to do. Not because it will help me. In fact, I received a callback 24 hours after the OCI and my thank you's hadn't even gone out yet, but I still sent them. I am sending them out for the callback as well. I think it's just polite.
But I have heard from a few younger lawyers that they don't think it's necessary and that if you screw something up on it (like spelling the name wrong) it would give them a reason to ding you.
So its all what you want to do. If you are going to do it, do it right. If you aren't going to send one, its probably not going to be seen as rude.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 09:17:14 PM »
I have to say I send thank you notes and I don't think they hurt at all especially if you think that a firm might be a bit of a reach.  I haven't gotten the callback yet, but yesterday I got a personal response to my thank you letter (i just send email) that was very positive about my credentials and telling me that they would be in touch with me soon.  I mean obviously we are all adults and you do need to proof read, but sending a quick email showing that you paid attention during the interview never hurts.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 12:20:58 AM »
This is horrible advice.  I always send thank you notes.  I sent thank you notes to every interviewer I've met at every callback.  And they have ALWAYS resulted in offers, and the people have ALWAYS complimented me on the nice notes I send.

And these aren't at the supposed 'small firms'.  These were Wilmer Hale, Kirkland and Ellis, Proskauer Rose, Mintz Levin.

Send the notes, its a great idea.  Take it from my ACTUAL experiences.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern