Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback interviews  (Read 11268 times)

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Callback interviews
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 12:40:27 AM »
Ok, so when you go to callbacks then do you send thank you notes to *each* person you interviewed with, even if it was over 10 people?

Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »
Each offer I've gotten came before the mail would've gotten my thank you note to the recipient.  I chose not to send any.  IMO, if you want to send them, send them.  If you do send them, make sure they're appropriate and clean re: grammar and spelling.  If you don't want to send them, don't bother, as it won't make a difference.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 08:33:01 AM »
This is horrible advice.  I always send thank you notes.  I sent thank you notes to every interviewer I've met at every callback.  And they have ALWAYS resulted in offers, and the people have ALWAYS complimented me on the nice notes I send.

And these aren't at the supposed 'small firms'.  These were Wilmer Hale, Kirkland and Ellis, Proskauer Rose, Mintz Levin.

Send the notes, its a great idea.  Take it from my ACTUAL experiences.

Ok, I too have ACTUAL (the capitalization apparently makes it more actual, or actual-er) experience interviewing at many of those named firms.  I too got offers from many of those, or comparable firms.  Not ALWAYS (again, lest you doubt the certainty of always, I have capitalized it, so what's up now?), but I got a fair amount of offers.  And I never sent thank you notes.

Moreover, I now have actual (lower case is the new hottness) experience interviewing for a firm comparable to those you listed.  That's right, I'm now on the other side of the desk with my list of platitudes to feed you, using words/phrases like "collegial" and "quality of both life and work" and "immediate responsibility."  I have gotten several thank you notes and not once have I ever remembered who had sent it, and I immediately throw it in the trash.  But, the one time I did take the time to figure out who this guy was that had sent a thank you was when it had a silly, glaring error.  I hunted the guy's file down and his was the only name I associated with thank you cards at the recruiting teleconference.  I don't know yet if he got an offer, but he certainly did not get my vote.