Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback interviews  (Read 10914 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Callback interviews
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:33:07 PM »
On average, how long did you wait between the screening interview and the hearing about a callback?

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Callback interviews
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »
quickest: @ the end of the screening interview.
longest: 3 weeks

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:36:52 PM »
thanks for the response jenery!

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 03:10:13 PM »
I would say a week was the average.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »
My experience with fall OCI so far has been a week turnaround.

Anyone go through one of these yet? I have my first in a couple days and have no real idea of what I am getting into.
Air Force JAG Corps

fushyuki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 01:59:10 PM »
If you're not a serious candidate, I think it's standard to get a ding letter pretty soon.  If you haven't gotten one within a week, it's probably a good sign.  A friend just got one from Heller Erhman, giving them a week ding turn around.

It also varies firm by firm.  I rode the train from NYC to DC with a Fish and Richardson lawyer.  He was interviewing at NYU for the day and said it'll be at least a week before their firm is procedurally able to make callback offers, maybe longer.  They have to fedex forms to their Cali office.  Then scan them into some computer system.  Then notify the hiring committee partners.  Then when all the partners approve a candidate, they can make offers.

That said, I got a 1-2 day turn around from Richard Layton Finger, Sheppard Mullin, Baker McKenzie, and McCarter English.  I'm still waiting to hear from several DC firms, and Cleary in NYC.

Anyone know the turn around time for a place like Arent Fox?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've been a little nerve racked, since I got 2 callbacks within 2 days of interviewing, and a few ding letters, but there are a bunch I haven't heard from.  The way some people were talking (many people saying if you didn't get a callback within a day, you weren't going to), I was beginning to expect dings from all the rest.   It hasn't even been a week yet, so I won't write them all off yet.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
Is anybody sending thank you letters for the screening interviews?  I was thinking about it, but I would hate for my thank you letter to arrive right after they sent a ding latter.  Should we save the thank yous for after the callback interview?

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 03:57:33 PM »
I sent thank you letters to all my interviewers within a day of the interview. I think its good practice to send out thank your irregardless of the outcome.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 05:35:41 PM »
I was going to, but then the day I was going to drop a bunch in the mail, I got a rejection letter.  I decided not to, since there seems to be such a short turn around.  I'll definitely be writing thank yous to every person I meet at a call back interview.