Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part Timers: Looking for tricks to stay awake and alert  (Read 1231 times)

barney0361

Part Timers: Looking for tricks to stay awake and alert
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:02:07 AM »
My fellow evening students or regular students who thrive on 18 hour days:

Any tips for keeping my head off the desk? 

After 8 or 9 hours at the office, comuting and then hours in class (and let's be fair, some of it really is kind of boring)--are there any non-narcotic ways to increase the ole energy level?  I found out Starbucks 'll sell a quintuple esspresso and it made me entirely too happy.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Part Timers: Looking for tricks to stay awake and alert
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:46:31 AM »
Starbucks is my friend, too, and I'm sad to admit that I need it.  I'm sorry to say, but there really is no way to fight our being tired.  I mean, after all, most people are tired from just working a full-time job, let alone doing that and going to school as well (let's not forget those people who have families for whom they have to provide). 

Working and attending law school at night is just something that you  have to get used to, though I have to admit that even I am not used to it after two years of law school.  Unfortunately, it will become even harder when you're a 3L, since that is when all of the On Campus Interviewing is going on, and it will be hard to fit that in, your classes, and your job; in fact, it may not be possible.  Sorry that I couldn't be more encouraging, but that's just the way it is.

barney0361

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:04:36 AM »
Hey, glad to know I'm not alone!

PaperChase

• View Profile

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 01:06:06 PM »
Georgetown

PaperChase

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:13:46 PM »
Listen on the commute.  that is what I do.  trying to be helpful

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »
No, that's not what you do.  YOu're the same d*ck that keeps creating accounts to advertise this crap.  Stop it.

Listen on the commute.  that is what I do.  trying to be helpful

PaperChase

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »
Sorry for trying to be helpful. I go to New England School of Law and I have a 45 minute commute.  If you would like, I can give you my facebook page.

barney0361

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 02:18:11 PM »
Well, ad or not, thanks for the tip.  I'm a mass transit rider though, so it's just as easy to read the cases. 

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »
Try heading to bed right after class and getting up early to study. I don't always do that but it makes for nice change of routine when I start feeling burnt out.

Weather permitting, go for a 10 minute walk outside after classes and before sitting down to study.

If you're not studying productively, stop. Maybe it's just me but every now and then I'll find myself staring at the same page/paragaph/sentence and just not comprehending. Rather than try and force it, I've found it's better to just call it quits and give my brain a rest. It'll always be there tomorrow.

I also try to get at least 10 hours of sleep/night on the weekends - not always possible but it helps.