Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ANY GOOD ADVISE  (Read 443 times)

mp3z4eva

• View Profile
    • Email
ANY GOOD ADVISE
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:23:30 PM »
I am now going to be a senior in college with decent grades with hopes one day becoming an attorney, helping people with there problems is my passion. My dilemma is I always find myself doing something stupid and getting into trouble for it.I am the type of person that acts without thinking. I have a couple charges with all Jud/with held. I have a charge though that was not withheld for feeling and eluding/reckless driving. Long story short I was just speeding and had no idea an officer was behind for aprox 1mile on the express way. Convicted for it with probation. I want to get into law school but more worried about the bar but am not sure if I'll get in with all my charges. I am a great speaker and really besides my charges I have not doing anything wrong. I don't drink nor do drugs, I just have a bad habit of being influenced by the wrong people. Does anyone have any advise. I'll do anything at this point

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: ANY GOOD ADVISE
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:43:10 PM »
If you have a habit of getting involved with the wrong people, perhaps you should focus on figuring out why that is so, and improving your life in that respect before heading off to law school.  You'll be able to show the admission committees that you've figured out why you acted the way you did, and how you've improved your life and your community. 

Get out, get involved, find a job and get some work experience, and apply in a couple of years.  Your application will look all the better for it.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:27:33 PM »
Well, spelling "advice" correctly is a decent start.
Air Force JAG Corps

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:33:47 PM »
I'm not as concerned with the "reckless driving" so much as when you talk about "getting involved with the wrong kind of people."

(I think if the reckless driving was followed by some sort of remedial class or something, and true repentance, I would be surprised if that would knock you out of contention.)

That tells me that maybe you need to work on your own individuality.  A lot of times, an attorney might have to stand up for people whom the WHOLE WORLD has written off.

It is OPPOSITE of "going with the crowd."

Plus, how supportive are those "wrong kind of people" going to be when you start spending, say, 50 hours a week in the library? 

I would work on tightening your circle of friends to the people who are going to be supportive. 

Also, be truthful about the various convictions on your law school applications.
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes