Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what is good about SA or PD jobs?  (Read 1272 times)

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
what is good about SA or PD jobs?
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:27:58 AM »
I submitted my resume through OCI for a bunch of jobs that I didn't necessarily want.  Well, I wasn't really convinced I would get the interviews because I am not a "certified legal intern" (in florida it means the supreme court licenses you to practice as a lawyer temporarily before you graduate), and I haven't worked at a SA or PD office.

Well, I have interviews this week and next week including Public Defender's offices and State's Attorneys offices.  When they ask me "why are you interested in this position," I want to be able to respond, so what are the perks of working those jobs?

Here is all I can come up with:
1. You get a ton of litigation experience, whereas first and second year associates in civil firms are typically stuck shuffling papers
2. The work is probably pretty interesting.  Prosecuting a DUI or something like that is more interesting than checking property for easements, or analyzing the proviso language of a contract for the sale of toaster ovens, IMO.

anything else?  anything at all would be helpful.

tenth8sphere

Re: what is good about SA or PD jobs?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »
You get to wear a t-shirt that says: "Federal Tool"

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »
Here is all I can come up with:
1. You get a ton of litigation experience, whereas first and second year associates in civil firms are typically stuck shuffling papers
2. The work is probably pretty interesting.  Prosecuting a DUI or something like that is more interesting than checking property for easements, or analyzing the proviso language of a contract for the sale of toaster ovens, IMO.

anything else?  anything at all would be helpful.

These answers will not get you the job, IMO.  Comparing the litigation experience to a firm tells them you're in it for a year or two before you move on to one of those firm jobs.  Take that out.  Just say that you really want to be in a courtroom, trying cases.

Also, no one wants to hear that their job is "probably" interesting.  You need to sound convincing.  Stop comaring working in the public sector to Firms, b/c you'll send the message that you're only seeking these jobs because you couldn't find anything else.

When interviewing for the public sector, you need to try to come across as genuine.  You need to convince them you want the job because you'd LOVE to prosecute, or be a PD.  Which, IMO, means seriously revising some of the reasons you've given here.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 05:49:42 PM »
Point taken.  However, I wasn't transcribing verbatim what I planned to say, but I do appreciate the input.

Can anybody think of any other perks, other than litigation and interesting work?

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 09:27:11 PM »
You actually get to help people.