Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black's Law Dictionary  (Read 1008 times)

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
Black's Law Dictionary
« on: August 21, 2006, 04:27:13 PM »
what is the opinion on Black's Law Dictionary?  is it something that is necessary?  is the pocket edition sufficient or should u spend the money and get the unabridged version?  have the editions changed much in the past few years?  or is it essentially the same book being printed every year? 

and finally, is the book even necessary? or is it all availably online?  is it easier to access it that way or do u prefer to look the stuff up online? 

agrooth

• Law Student, CALI employee
    • View Profile
    • learnthelaw.org
    • Email
CALI's blog for pre-laws:
http://calis_pre-law_blog.classcaster.org/blog/

CALI's website for pre-laws:
www.learnthelaw.org

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black's Law Dictionary
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »
If you get a Blacks', get the compact one. It'll have everything that you need. Even better, get a used compact one; it'll have everything that you need, and it'll be cheaper.

I have one that I used a bit first year, but not so much since. Westlaw has Black's online. Lexis has a dictionary, also. Your library probably has at least one copy of the big Black's if you need that.

So, overall, I'd say it's personal preference. If you'd rather look up things in a book than online, get the Blacks'.

johnnylongtorso

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:00:02 PM »
Don't bother.  You can get it on WestLaw if you really need to look something up.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:51:16 PM »
It is available online and there are copies strewn all over law school library reading tables.   

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
i just started my law school career and frankly i've used it almost every day sinse.  were starting with some of the classic cases and some of these cases are using legal terms that have sinse been replaced.  (demurr is one) and i think it's much easier to have a book especially if you're like me and prefer not be near their laptop while working due to the dangers of myspace and youtube.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:48:53 PM »
Buy the pocket version because you won't always be in the library when you're studying. Also, it take 10 times as long to look up a word on-line with Blacks versus just pulling out the pocket version.

It's worth the investment but you will find that you need it less and less as you become more accustomed to the terminology of the law.