DTA top/ LTB Bottom
 3 (37.5%)
LTB top/DTA Bottom
 2 (25%)
what does top/bottom mean?
 1 (12.5%)
they will take turns
 2 (25%)
i dont know as long as im in between, did somebody say manwich?
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: When to start outlining?  (Read 427 times)

Oh look a 1L

• View Profile
    • Email
When to start outlining?
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:18:38 PM »
It seems that outlining has limited functionality until some bigger picture that a body of laws represents becomes clear. Is this accurate? If so, is it really necessary to wait until around Thanksgiving? Wouldn't it make sense to start outlining as soon as you can see the connection between a group of laws?

I have no real idea what I'm talking about, having not even started classes yet, so feel free to correct me.

amityjo

• View Profile
Re: When to start outlining?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:36:16 PM »
I started outlining immediately. That way, once finals time came, I could spend more time studying my outline, and doing hypos. Also, I didn't outline for every class; instead, I did flashcards for the subjects that had more memorization (i.e. criminal law.)

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:41:47 PM »
I inevitably put off outlining until closer to finals. The process of outlining is as much of a study aid as reading through it later. Then I move on to hypos, practice questions, etc

I SHOULD start it earlier, to get a better grasp on how it all fits together, but usually its the one thing that gets left out
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

Pitt1L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:46:56 PM »
I would say immediately, but I think the better answer would be a couple or a few weeks after the beginning of school.  That said, I think it's important to have your outlines largely finished by Thanksgiving (obviously not counting what you haven't covered yet in class).

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 09:48:20 PM »
Like most things in law school, this is just something you have to figure out for yourself. I'm not trying to hide the ball or anything like that, but outlining is a process that helps some people more than others, and likewise some people benefit from outlining early and some don't. I recommend starting fairly early, maybe after the second or third week of classes, because you can always stop outlining and pick it back up later on if it's not working whereas you can't turn back time if you're one of those people who needs to start early and you put it off until the week before finals.

I outlined early my first semester and promised myself that I'd start even earlier in the Spring, but I wound up waiting until three weeks before finals to outline at all and it worked quite well for me. I learn better if I wait until a few weeks before finals to outline, as it turns out. That doesn't mean that it will work for you. I guess one thing you can consider is how you studied in undergrad - did you perform better when the pressure's on and you have to cram, or did you prefer to do a little at a time? Despite what alarmists will have you believe, the study patterns you had in undergrad are as good an indicator as any of what will work in law school.

blawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 10:07:11 PM »
it depends on your personal style. Think about your strengths and weaknesses and how you best learn. Some successful students outline methodically by devoting a certain amount of time each week to outlining. Others start a month and a half out and go nuts.

check out this site when you get a second. i used it the other day and i think it might be pretty good: www.audiocasefiles.com.