Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is buying the newest edition really necessary?  (Read 1395 times)

Law9486

• View Profile
Is buying the newest edition really necessary?
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:17:09 PM »
I have heard some people say that you can buy an older edition cheaper and then get the newest cases online. Does this actually work? Has anyone here tried it? Like everyone else, Iím just trying to save money on books!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is buying the newest edition really necessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:44:43 PM »
It might be possible, but cases in case books are typically edited to show certain things. So, while you'll pull the entire case, you won't be reading what's in the case books. Not sure how much the other materials in the book might change.

If you're buying a book of briefs, yeah, go for the older edition. I generally go up-to-date on the casebooks themselves.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:12:23 AM »
And your friends will get VERY annoyed by you early on when you have to ask them every single day if they have any different cases in their editions than you have in yours.

I really think having the required edition is necessary; it's one thing to buy used.  It's another to buy the book NOT required by your prof, IMO.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »
I did it for my income tax book this semester.  We'll see how well that works.  I saved $100 though.  I seriously doubt that law casebooks are any different from other textbooks.  The authors change a few words and then put out a "new edition." 

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:12:58 AM »
As long as there are no new cases added into the new edition, I wouldn't think that it would be a problem.  Although, the page numbers might be a bit off and it would be missing any other new material that was added to the new edition.

Coffinberry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 07:57:01 PM »
Yes.

I had a friend that tried to do an old edition of the bluebook. She was shafted, big time.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »
The Bluebook is different than a casebook. 

Pitt1L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 10:13:24 PM »
I might try to get away with using an old textbook this year for Business Organizations (I'm a 2L), but I would recommend that you buy the updated edition, at least for your first semester.  In general, it's a better idea.  And if you consider what you're paying for tuition, a hundred bucks doesn't seem like that much.

blawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 12:45:57 AM »
I actually agree with buying the older editions for some courses. but, it depends on the course, because the opinions that are edited for certain courses are easy to self-edit, but are really difficult for other courses. For example, the average conlaw opinion is around 100 pages. Compare and contrast that with the average torts or contracts opinion, which are around 8 pages on avg and very easy to edit...i edited some opinions for corporations and they weren't bad, but not bus. assoc. however, i would assume they are similar. your call...little has probably changed and the published opinions are prob short. pull a few and see.

PaperChase

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:13:31 PM »
You can buy all the lastest cases and older ones on  www.audiocasefiles.com