Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know when tuition bills come?  (Read 3553 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know when tuition bills come?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »
I bought a new car a year ago and currently my savings account makes more interest than my loan rate. I don't plan to pay the car off anytime soon.

As for investing in CDs ... that is WAY to risk averse for a young person. There are WAY better investements to be made. CDs are useless, especially when interest rates keep climbing.
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 07:11:52 PM »
Depends entirely on what your expected use for the money is, even for a "young person."  Also, as of the most recent fed meeting, rates are no longer continuously climbing (at least for now).

Further, investing borrowed money (as is being discussed here) is leveraged investing - which, while it can multiply returns, also multiplies risk and has to be accounted for in any reasonable asset strategy.

Well, I would never invest borrowed money, with the exception of putting it in a high yield savings account, but still, CDs just have no draw. So you can make 5.25% for a 5 year minimum investment period; well, I can make 4.5% in my savings account and have full liquidity. Don't forget the risk of putting your money into something where there are penalties for early withdrawl.

I guess my point is that the margin is so small that it is not worth the hassle/risk of having your money being locked up.

Also, you NEVER buy bonds when interest rates are going up as their price moves inversely of the interest rate. While the fed finally stopped, after 20 some odd rate hikes, there is no guarantee that they will not be back at it next meeting. Thus, I wouldn't even consider bonds right now.
Carlos Cadena Society

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 11:20:01 PM »
I was just responding to Nick's sweeping seeming-condemnation of them.

Note, it was a "sweeping condemnation" with the pretext of age. For people our age, these investments make no sense. I will argue that vigorously. CDs and bonds are for retirees - period.
Carlos Cadena Society

Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »
When I look at my tuition bill, it states that third party billing is covering almost everything.

Does anyone else see this? I too am taking out loans, so....yeah. Should it say that at all?

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 11:36:23 PM »
Wait, you guys have cars? I've lived the impoverished life of a student for too long -- I've been living without a car for 4 years!

Seriously though, I'll be tapping you all for rides... and for investment advice. I'm not even sure I know what a CD is.

I was so obviously NOT a business major.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 10:31:06 AM »
Wait, you guys have cars? I've lived the impoverished life of a student for too long -- I've been living without a car for 4 years!

Me too but I've decided I'm leaving the broke undergraduate student life behind for a slightly less broke law student with a car life. And, I figure it will become a necessary evil come December when we start applying for summer jobs.

I really really hate driving. My first big gift to myself after I graduate, pass the bar, get a good job, pay off my student loans, buy a house and have extra disposable income (I really hope this happens!) is a car service. Big dream I know, but it will encourage me to do as well as I can to get as good a job as I can so that I can make this happen as soon as I can.