Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: to all 0Ls and 1Ls, do NOT buy a FUJITSU laptop  (Read 420 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
to all 0Ls and 1Ls, do NOT buy a FUJITSU laptop
« on: August 15, 2006, 04:55:02 PM »
i've had mine for 15 months now, and everything that possibly could have gone wrong has. the gory details:

1) blown motherboard
2) rampant dead pixel formation on the screen
3) keyboard has come loose and now "floats"
4) LCD screen has gone out (800 dollar repair)
5) DVD drive that is completely dysfunctional (450 dollar repair)

i purchased the N series 3400 for 1700.00 dollars in may of last year. it limped through my first year of law school (motherboard blew out during the first month of 1L classes - i was sitting in civ pro and the screen just went black - oh sweet joy beyond joy) and is now completely inoperable. given the extraordinarily high price of repair for both the monitor and the DVD player, the computer is basically nothing more than a throw-away at this point. fujitsu tech support has been marginal ("hmm sounds tricky better take it to one of our service centers, for a marginal fee, of course"), and their customer service department has been downright horrendous. when i called to request help with this obviously inferior product, their response was: "mail us the laptop computer, shipping and handling paid, with a check for a 150 dollars and we will take a look at it. otherwise, there's nothing that we can do to help you."

mind numbingly bad service.

a POS comp built by a drunk blind man

of all the laptops functional parts, only the chipset and ram have yet to fail. i've had a horrible experience with fujitsu. i advise any 0Ls and 1Ls who are looking for laptops to steer clear of them.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: to all 0Ls and 1Ls, do NOT buy a FUJITSU laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:37:53 AM »
On the flip side, I love my Fujitsu (S series). I've had mine for two years now and I think it still works great. My next laptop will probably be a Fujitsu.

T. Durden, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, especially the customer service. It's like car insurance, you think you got the best deal until you get into a wreck and find out that it'll be a month or more before you get your check.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 01:55:10 AM »
yeah they're rated very highly by consumer reports - i obviously ended up with a bad apple. just disappointed that they are unwilling to take responsibility for it in any capacity....

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »
and bump