Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recreational Facilities, any Info?  (Read 2257 times)

Felsen

• View Profile
Recreational Facilities, any Info?
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:46:57 PM »
Someone on the official boards posted we can start using the gyms and such on Friday this week (I believe).  In preparation for this, does anyone have some information they can dispense on the facilities?

Lockers:  Are there lockers we can rent in one or the other of the gyms so we can store our clothes in there?

Clothes:  Is it all bring your own clothes and towels and store them in a locker?  (My UG had you check out mandatory gym clothes, which was nice because then they would wash it all for you, and you never had to store sweaty clothes in your locker.)

cozmo

• View Profile
Re: Recreational Facilities, any Info?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:49:00 PM »
I can't answer your questions, Felsen.  However, my undergrad had clothes to checkout, and it was awesome.  They cancelled it my senior year though...

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:23:35 PM »
I've seen the rec sports site.  I've not been able to find any specifics about lockers/towels/clothing.  The site implies that you bring your own clothing.  I just haven't seen anything spelled out on exactly what to do.  I'll probably head down and investigate on Saturday and check out the facilities in more detail.  My undergrad was very specific about all of these things, and you were out of luck if you didn't pop in and rent your locker during the 3-day window they were made available.  I'm trying not to miss any such strict deadlines.

cozmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:05:27 AM »
what country club schools did you people go to?.. with gym clothes provided and such. :D  It seems weird if you ask me; I'd much rather wear my own clothing.

I wanted to wear my own clothes at first, too.  In the end, I liked the idea of being able to go from class to gym to class without carrying gym clothes..

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:55:49 AM »
what country club schools did you people go to?.. with gym clothes provided and such. :D  It seems weird if you ask me; I'd much rather wear my own clothing.

BYU.  They had several reasons they did things that way.

1.  They used it as a type of rec pass.  If you were in official clothes, they knew that you had used your ID to check them out from the locker rooms (or had obtained them illegitimately).  You were still supposed to have your ID, but as long as you were in clothes, they only checked for intramurals.
2.  It helped keep the locker rooms smelling a bit better.  You didn't have folks storing the dirty clothes in the lockers, and taking them home once a semester whether or not they needed washed.
3.  It was an easier way to enforce the dress code than having to tell folks that wife-beater shirts and bum hugger shorts weren't allowed.

hornian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:15:42 AM »
Bring your own clothes/towels.

You can rent lockers, but not until the 1st class day. And there is a huge line to rent them. However, there are day lockers where you can bring your own lock and store stuff there but there aren't all that many and they are first come first served. You can't leave anything overnight, though.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 10:57:17 AM »
You can rent lockers, but not until the 1st class day. And there is a huge line to rent them.

I'm guessing that the rentable lockers sell out then?  First day being Wednesday for classes, and not the Monday for Orientation, or is it yet another day (I've not checked if normal school and law school start at same time)?

Are the day lockers the nice tall type so you can hang clothes up to prevent wrinkles?  Or the type where we'll have to cram everything in and look wrinkled for class?

hornian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 11:16:10 AM »
You can rent lockers, but not until the 1st class day. And there is a huge line to rent them.

I'm guessing that the rentable lockers sell out then?  First day being Wednesday for classes, and not the Monday for Orientation, or is it yet another day (I've not checked if normal school and law school start at same time)?

Are the day lockers the nice tall type so you can hang clothes up to prevent wrinkles?  Or the type where we'll have to cram everything in and look wrinkled for class?
First class day, Wednesday. The ones in Gregory will sell out that day. The ones in the Rec Sports Center may last until the end of the week.

The day lockers are the normal size, large enough to hang a shirt and a a pair of slacks as well as hold all your books and stuff.

LonghornDUG

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 10:51:31 AM »
As I recall, you have to rent the lockers downstairs at Gregory (even for the Rec Center --  you choose there).  And hornian is right, the line is long, and the lockers go very quickly.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 11:45:41 AM »
I am just going to go to class in my sweaty gym rags.  ;)
Carlos Cadena Society