• Champions!
    • View Profile
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:30:29 PM »
The University of Texas School of Law, Class of 2009

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: Woohoo!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:38:31 PM »
My main question is at what point is it the most worth to do this.  I have always been planning on just doing this after graduation, when I will (presumably) have the assistance and support of a firm wanting me to pass both the state bar, and subsequently the patent bar.  I've just heard that being able to take the patent bar is typically good enough given the demand for the legal area.  I guess I'll look into it more if I'm unable to get a decent paying summer job for this next summer.

How'd you study (PatBar materials, someone else)?
How much time committment did the studying take?
How much more time would you estimate it would take someone who hadn't been working as a paralegal in a patent boutique for the last few years (you did say that's what you've been doing, right?)?

What's the monetary cost (study materials + exam fees + anything hidden)?

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »
I wasn't aware that you were allowed to pass the bar without law school. Then what is the point of law school? You clearly know your stuff.
Carlos Cadena Society

catz4885

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 02:40:22 PM »
Wow congratulations tonyp! My boyfriend was actually just explaining how good that looks to firms (to say that you've passed the patent bar before applying for summer jobs).

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »
Wow congratulations tonyp! My boyfriend was actually just explaining how good that looks to firms (to say that you've passed the patent bar before applying for summer jobs).

I heard it looks terrible to firms to have a boyfriend.

Don't kill the messenger  ;)
Carlos Cadena Society

catz4885

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 10:36:51 PM »
Oh -- you're right nix.. it looks much more "stable" to be married.  ;D

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:19:25 AM »
Her boyfriend's in our law class too...perhaps you should be more worried about *him* killing the messenger!  ;D

Where's my intel Whit?

Oh -- you're right nix.. it looks much more "stable" to be married.

:-X
Carlos Cadena Society

LonghornDUG

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 10:55:39 AM »
After regurgitating six hours' worth of minutiae on patent procedure, I "preliminarily" passed the patent bar.  I'm going to Disneyworld!  No... I'm going to Central Market to procure a porterhouse and an expensive bottle of cabernet, and then I'm going to let the healing begin.

After I recuperate, I'll be happy to share my thoughts on the process with anyone who's interested.  There are also some useful threads on the pre-law side (search for "patent bar" in the thread title).

Congrats bro!!!  I'll have to pick your brain about it sooner or later, if you don't mind.  I'll be taking the patent bar at some point or another, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.