Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where is a good place to buy mattresses in Austin?  (Read 2871 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Where is a good place to buy mattresses in Austin?
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:33:26 AM »
I will be needing a new bed. Where can I buy one? Preferably S. Congress area!
Carlos Cadena Society

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: Where is a good place to buy mattresses in Austin?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:19:19 AM »
I'd suggest getting a straight mattress and metal frame, and not spending the money on a headboard or baseboard.  We got a full size bed for our son about six months ago from Mattress Firm.  It costed around $600, though we made sure to get the water resistant weave (which shouldn't be as necessary for you unless you drink a lot in bed).

We went to Mattress Firm, which specializes in just the mattress, box spring, and frame.  They'll also have the same set-up available at most furniture stores.  Just pick three around town to check out their prices and test the beds on display.  Make sure to talk with an associate while you're there.  They almost always seem to have sales on the mattress and box springs if you buy both.

The frame should cost about $50-60.  The mattress and box springs will cost about the same each in the $100-$500 range (the $100 will be a foam mattress which you don't want).  If you are broke and need something cheap, then you can just get the mattress and lay it on the floor.  You'll probably also have a $50 delivery fee you'll want to figure in while comparing prices.  At furniture stores, you can typically get the delivery fee waived if you buy a certain dollar value of furniture.  So if you're planning on getting a couch and some other things here in the first semester, shopping for all of that at once can save you on delivery fees.

Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »
Most department stores [Foley's/Macy's is great, really helpful!] will do delivery, as well. I'm all about letting someone else lug my mattress up three flights of stairs.  ;D

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:44:49 PM »
I went to Mattress Pro and the guy was exceedingly helpful. He threw in a "starving student" discount that was awesome. I got a king size Simmons something or other pillow top, frame, mattress cover, and box springs for $1800 with tax and delivery. Total cost as listed was like $2500. Pretty happy about that.

Nick
Carlos Cadena Society

Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »
All I know is, if you have a hot tub shaped like a martini glass, I am SO in.

Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 02:10:43 PM »
You know how much work it is to FIND one of those?

Besides, let's be honest - we're all going to be so tired and exhausted from school that little will get in the way of a good night's sleep.  ;D

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 02:57:13 PM »
I went to Mattress Pro and the guy was exceedingly helpful. He threw in a "starving student" discount that was awesome. I got a king size Simmons something or other pillow top, frame, mattress cover, and box springs for $1800 with tax and delivery. Total cost as listed was like $2500. Pretty happy about that.

King size, eh?  In your new condo, did you spring for the one-touch option for dimming the lights, lighting the candles, and turning on the tunes?  Giggety!

:D

No question. Did I mention that I got the vibrating Simmons beauty rest model?

Actually, the king is going into my apt while the townhouse gets finished. It is going to take up 80% of the room.

A hot tub I am actually thinking about for my courtyard :)
Carlos Cadena Society

Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 03:02:24 PM »
Actually, forget martini shaped. Just do heart-shaped, with pink bubbles. That's sure to be a crowd-pleaser.  ;D

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 03:20:36 PM »
Actually, forget martini shaped. Just do heart-shaped, with pink bubbles. That's sure to be a crowd-pleaser.  ;D

I'm on it.
Carlos Cadena Society

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:36:32 PM »
also consider JC penney

My last couple of mattresses have been Spring Air pillow tops...I have a lot of chiropractic issues, and this bed has been great for me, and it is usually in the $500-600 range when on sale...