Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help - Must miss class during first week...  (Read 1655 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Must miss class during first week...
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 12:52:30 AM »
If there's a chance you can be called on, mention it to the prof. Most profs I've had only care that you're not there when you're called on. Now, whether or not the prof considers going to a wedding a valid reason to miss a class or not probably depends on the individual, but most that I've had wouldn't have an issue with it.

Along with the "easy" parts of civ pro, torts will most likely be covering intentional torts. These are the black letter law part of torts -- far easier than negligence.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 01:02:21 AM »
It would not hurt to email your professors to let them know you will not be in class.  Doing so will show them respect for the class and for their preparation.  My professors all requested that the students email whenever they would miss class or would be unprepared.  They kept lists of who they had called on, and generally chose ahead of time who they would call on that day.  If they call on you when you're not there, and you didn't tell them first, it's confusing and wastes class time, and frustrates the professors -- especially the first week of class, when they generally don't expect anyone to be absent.

And, if you email your professors first, even before classes start, you're making a good first impression -- that you're considerate and professional.  As a previous poster said, most professors will understand.  Definitely let them know.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 01:19:38 AM »
One class won't matter. I would tell the student affairs people about missing the class if not the professors. There are some profs who are weird about attendance, and even though it probably won't be a problem, if student affairs knows about it you're covered.

wblaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 01:33:16 PM »

You'll be ok.  I did the exact same thing my first semester; missed two days of class to go to a wedding.  I talked to the professors ahead of time so I could get the reading assignments and took copies with me on the plane.

Of course, my contracts professor called on me the very next class; not sure if that was intentional or not, but be prepared.