Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Girls who didn't get into a top 20 school...don't forget about "networking"  (Read 2287 times)

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It must be hard for the OP to let her male friends know how smart she is when she is usually found with a mouth full of C0CK!

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
hhaha omg

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
I don't disagree with the OP's advice to women.  But for the dudes on this board, there is a second pearl hidden in her little oyster of wisdom:

I am currently good friends with a guy who attends harvard law.  He is being harassed by fabulous job opportunities, and, as my friend, will gladly help me in the future.  He could care less that I go to a T3 school.  No, I'm not sleeping with him, either.  But he appreciates our friendship and says that many people at his school, while brilliant, are very one-dimensional.

So what's the lesson here?  If she's as attractive as she says she is, this Harvard guy wants to bang her.  That means that the only reason she isn't "sleeping with him" is that she knows this dork will give her the keys to his world (that he presumably worked so hard to get into) without her having to fully satisfy her end of the deal.  The guy she's really sleeping with wouldn't put up with this bullsh*t.  Beautiful women generally sleep with A-holes who understand the concept of an equitable exchange of goods and services, not dorky nice guys who give them the world for nothing.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

inthelaw45

• View Profile
A few things:

1.  Not all pretty women are sluts (to the guy who made the cock-in-face comment)
2.  I never said I was the hottest item on the planet, just "pretty".  There's a difference between a "sexpot" and a nice, attractive, but wholesome, girl-next-door.  Men generally still are more than willing to assist the latter, just as they obviously are the former.
3.  My harvard friend is actually quite attractive, not a total nerd, and has a serious girlfriend whom he is quite happy with.

Oh look a 1L

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm not sure how you expect a first, second, or even third year associate to help you out. He may get your foot in the door for an interview, but if the interviewer is female, gay, or possessed of any shred of integrity, he or she will not hire your mediocre grade having and mediocre school attending ass, no matter how much "networking" you do.

On the upside, you could always try to be one of the major news networks' legal correspondents. That Dara Guillefoyle is one hot piece of ace.

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
the most powerful woman in america (the world?) is not attractive, nor is the richest woman; not to me anyway.

however, i do agree with you at some level.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Looks can only get you so far. Yes, they could probably get you a nice job, but sooner or later you will actually need to produce some quality work. This isnít to say that you arenít capable of doing so. Itís just a general statement that if you are pretty and capable of doing quality work, you will go further than someone w/ average looks and equal capabilities. Besides, sooner or later even pretty women begin to age and are replaced by younger, attractive women.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
A few things:

1.  Not all pretty women are sluts (to the guy who made the cock-in-face comment)
2.  I never said I was the hottest item on the planet, just "pretty".  There's a difference between a "sexpot" and a nice, attractive, but wholesome, girl-next-door.  Men generally still are more than willing to assist the latter, just as they obviously are the former.
3.  My harvard friend is actually quite attractive, not a total nerd, and has a serious girlfriend whom he is quite happy with.

I doubt too many people will disagree with the notion that all intangibles aside, an equally or slightly less capable attractive person will get the job over an average or not so good looking person. However, don't be alarmed with the reactions on the board. When you mention that you're "pretty" and that you have a harvard law friend who can help you out, and you have to provide the background that you're not playing one pickle in the jar, one pickle out with him...you don't exactly come off as being humble. If you were an average or below average looking person, wouldn't your platonic (sp) friend try to help you anyway? Bringing up your looks in this case is a moot point if this guy really likes you as a friend...and if you're qualified.

Girlfriend or no girlfriend, I'm not buying that this guy considers you to be only a friend. It's a two way street. You're using your looks and your "great friendship" as a way of securing a job in the future. He's using his promise to help you out as a way to keep you around in case something goes wrong in his current relationship.

ashley06

• Yes, I am crude and insufferable. Bite me.
    • View Profile

Oh look a 1L

This person wins the thread solely on the basis of its name.  :)

As to the OP, great read...but it would have been better if a woman had actually written it.  I call BS x infinity (and yes, I am actually a girl).
Attending: FSU
Accepted:  Barry ($$$), FCSL ($$), Stetson ($$), Ole Miss, UF, Memphis, Miami (FL)
Waitlisted:  UGA(W)
Rejected:

AJ Pennypacker

• View Profile
as long as we're being politically incorrect, i think i should mention that you forgot to add an asterisk at the end of your nice little description on how the world works.  i think it goes something like,

*all of the above hold true until the age of 30.  after which my looks wil be on a slippery downhill slope, thus throwing me back to the bottom of the totem poll below all of the tier 1/2 graduates i supposedly once had an advantage over, as well as behind all of the new, younger, better looking tier 3 women graduates.