Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T4 or T3?  (Read 1761 times)

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
T4 or T3?
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:20:06 AM »
Okay...so, my application cycle isn't over but I'm betting this will be my decision.

I have applied as a transfer from a T4 and have gained admission to a T3.  I need some input on which to choose:

T4:  Law review, moot court, five minutes away, low bar pass rate, provisionally accredited, will likely be 5% after everyone else above me leaves (which most of them are), a set regime schedule for all three years, not so good electives for my interest.  1/3 scholarship, starting salary $55,000 to $65,000.  Will likely have to remain in area for a few years to get some good work experience.

T3:  Lossing all ranking and special perks (law review, moot court, etc.), no scholarship.  May have a conflict with my p/t job, at least a 30 min. commute by car and 30 min. by train, staring salary $70,000 to $85,000 according to my sources.  May be able to immediately leave area, (important cause b/f wants to attend law school once I'm done).  ONly two required courses for 2L and two for 3L the rest are from their electives, which are a lot.

Okay, guys, do your best!!! I have an idea of what I'm likely going to do, but would like some other opinions.  I am not interested in biglaw, etc., but would like to work for a med. size firm doing tax law.

tenth8sphere

Re: T4 or T3?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:38:56 AM »
What are the schools, if I can ask? I know many people on this board will tell you to take the t3 over the t4 - and I might agree depending on the schools. But if you're talking about schools that hold similar respect with each other, then having law review AND moot court is going to open more doors for you. Your best bet from either is to get a local job (this is true even at tier 1 schools) and then get some experience before taking your degree elsewhere. If you CAN'T wait around for the experience, then (again depending on the schools) I think law review/moot court is going to open more doors at places that don't know your school name.

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:12:18 PM »
Provisional accredidation is a scary thing.  That would make me want to transfer.  Need to know the schools to give you a better opinion.  But provisional accredidation is a scary thing.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 05:17:23 PM »
So, now T3 say that because I made LR at my old school, I can bring them my letter of invitation and do LR there too...my, oh my!!!

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 05:49:59 PM »
So, now T3 say that because I made LR at my old school, I can bring them my letter of invitation and do LR there too...my, oh my!!!

I've never heard of anything like that in my entire life.  Sounds like the T3 is not much more reputable than the T4, no offense.....
Attending GW in Fall '06

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »
None taken...what makes you say that?

So, I've also been accepted to a T$ in the same area, that has the ideal program for me--tax certificate. 

Too much to think about now.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 09:24:53 PM »
What the heck is a T$ ???  Is that some kind of joke (ie- T Money) or did you accidentally hit the shift key when trying to say you were accepted to another T4?

I say go... what if your T4 never makes it past provisional? As far as portability is concerned, I don't think that T3 degrees are very portable at all. From what you've written, it sounds as though you are pretty good at networking and hustling up work, so maybe it isn't really a big deal for you.

If it was me, I would gladly pay a little more in tuition for the peace of mind that my school was already ABA and would not be losing it any time soon.

Come on, just tell us which schools... My research into provisional schools reveals two in SoCal (LaVerne or Western State). An interesting side note: did you know that abortion of an institution called Liberty Univ (that's right, the very one founded by Jerry Falwell) has a law school that has been provisionally approved?!?!? Also, I don't think that a provisionally accredited school technically counts as a T4 since USNWR doesn't rank provisional schools.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 10:43:44 AM »
Go to the highest ranked school you can get into.

tenth8sphere

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 03:39:57 PM »
Go to the highest ranked school you can get into.

Worst. Advice. Ever.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:16:53 PM »
This is from New York Lawyer, from someone in a similar position.

http://www.nylawyer.com/display.php/file=/lawlorn/06/ad071006