Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: worried about amending application  (Read 1683 times)

john2364

• View Profile
worried about amending application
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »
I am about to be a 1L this fall. I got a letter about law school applications being compared to bar applications. I did have a very minor problem in undergrad that resulted in me being put on probation for a month or two; it was expunged by the university judicial officer. I donít remember for sure, but I assume that I checked no where it asked me if I have ever been put on probation in undergrad. Would my school revoke my admission if I amended my application?

john2364

• View Profile
Re: worried about amending application
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »
Something that I forgot to say earlier was that this incident involved possession of an item that was prohibited under university housing policy, but is not illegal to posses. An example would be having legal fireworks in university housing where they prohibit fireworks in their building. I will have to amend the application, but what do you guys think the schools perspective will be?

tenth8sphere

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:55:25 AM »
Get copies of everywhere you applied and check the applications. 3/4ths of my apps asked a question about those sort of things, but 1/4th didn't. If NONE of your apps asked about it, then no harm, no foul - you were honest about everything they asked you in the application. If one, or more, of the schools DID ask, and you glossed over it - then you need to send an amendment to THOSE schools.

You may luck out, and even if you need to amend some, you may not need to amend the one at the school you've chosen to attend.

john2364

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:10:06 AM »
yes I have to amend the one I am about to start at. I am just sure I checked no because when I read it it again it said are you in the process of, or have you ever been charged with .... I missed the have you ever portion. I really hope they are forgiving.

tenth8sphere

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:12:14 PM »
I recommend you go in, in person, and sit down to talk with the director/dean of admissions. Have a typed addendum ready to give them when you go to see them - but also explain the situation and be apologetic. Don't say you did it on purpose.

LSAC reports list some forms of disciplinary action - so they may already know - or they may not. Say it was an accident/mistake. Ask if there's anything else you can/should do.

I don't think they're likely to boot you out at this point, but they might if you come off as a swindler. Let us know how it goes - and try to get in to see them TODAY.

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:47:55 PM »
I had to ammend an app at my school before I started, I neglected to mention and underage drinking citation and they were real cool with it.  They said that they were happy I did it before I matriculated and that the day the dean says soemthing about ammending apps at orientation there's alwaysa at least a dozen students in her office that afternoon.  So if it's something like that, my advice would be to disclose early and completely and you'll be fine.  Let them know it was an oversight and not intentional and you are not trying to hide anything. 

john2364

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:11:13 PM »
I was told to email the dean with the amend letter because I have not yet moved (doing it this thursday), so I sent the letter. I guess all I can do is wait now.

thelittleone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »
This thread is worrying me a little. I had a couple of tickets, etc. that I forgot to mention on some applications that I sent in earlier in the cycle. The school that I will be attending as a 1L in the fall has the correct information. I didn't bother ammending the applications for schools I had no intention of attending. Should I do that now?

tenth8sphere

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 11:58:30 PM »
This thread is worrying me a little. I had a couple of tickets, etc. that I forgot to mention on some applications that I sent in earlier in the cycle. The school that I will be attending as a 1L in the fall has the correct information. I didn't bother ammending the applications for schools I had no intention of attending. Should I do that now?

I might. The bar may compare apps. Probably not a big deal though. If you're concerned, call your school and ask.