Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To law students 29+  (Read 3530 times)

Coffinberry

• View Profile
Re: To law students 29+
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 05:52:41 PM »
For me (4 kids ages 8 -18, also working a start-up tech company on the side), the saving grace that kept all the plates spinning was to make one day a week a Law-School Free Day.

Study happened at school between classes, and in the 7-11pm slot at night, and sometimes half a weekend day. The rest, the chips fell where they may. It worked out pretty well.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 07:29:29 PM »
I often wonder if I am being over confident Im 33 I've been working for ten years now and have a very high stress/pressure job. I was also a Marine for five years, I'm just not thinking that all the horror stories i hear about law school and how much work it is will bother me. Im no stranger to hard work, I've been dealing with dealines and such for a long time now ...and i just dont think academic work is that difficult if you put in the time and effort...am i crazy?
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Coffinberry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »
Nope, you're not crazy. I found law school to be much easier than being a stay-at-home parent raising 4 kids . . . motivation and ability to manage tasks and deadlines is the real key. We've got lots of former military at my school; they kick butt. You'll probably do fine.

lawgeek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 08:48:12 AM »
Jarhead, IMO, many of the horror stories spawn from law students having come straight from UG, where they did not have to work hard to get top grades. In law school, ALL the students are bright and competition is strong for the top grades, so for the first time, these students are having to work hard to excel. You will probably find that the workload/stress is not so oppressive as you have heard especially having acquired the discipline that the military instills and the familiarity with meeting deadlines that comes with workforce experience. Good luck.
The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight.  But they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night.  - Longfellow

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 04:53:42 PM »
 thanks everybody  ;D  thats what i thought i just need a little reassurance every now and then

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
Hey Jarhead --- Once a Marine, Always a Marine.

There isn't anything that can out-do the basic training that you received in the Marines. If you could make it through that, you can make it through anything... URAAAH!

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Iowagrl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 10:32:25 AM »
Jarhead - I feel you. I'm coming from working with aggressive psychotics and (sometimes) their mentally unstable family members. Given that Law School probably won't leave nearly the number of scars on my body - I figure it can't be all that terrible.

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 10:30:53 PM »
I'm a former Marine myself.  Trust me -- when you're in class and people start whining about how hard it is getting called on, or how mean their professor is, you're going to laugh your *ss off.  Most of these people haven't been tested under the kind of simultaneous mental, emotional and physical stress that you have.  In fact, almost all of the day and a good percentage of the part-time programs are filled with people who are too young to have even held down a full-time job.  I'm sure you'll do well.

I often wonder if I am being over confident Im 33 I've been working for ten years now and have a very high stress/pressure job. I was also a Marine for five years, I'm just not thinking that all the horror stories i hear about law school and how much work it is will bother me. Im no stranger to hard work, I've been dealing with dealines and such for a long time now ...and i just dont think academic work is that difficult if you put in the time and effort...am i crazy?
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
Well, its still a lot of work. But it doesnt have to be HARD, per se. The things that are going to get to your classmates and stress them out are not going to bother you to the same extent, so you are more free to focus on other things.

I think as older students, the little high school bull *&^% stuff annoys us more than anything. While people are stressing about who to sit next to in class, and wondering if their 'friends' are going to go to such and such review session (cause they cant go on their own or think for themselves?) youll be already at the review session, not worrying about 'making friends' and *&^% like that.

while others are bitching about how 'unfair' it is for the prof to do whatever, you'll be like "whatthefuckever" and just doing what needs to be done

But make no mistake about it, it IS a ton of work, but it doesnt have to be HORRIBLE
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 05:57:40 PM »
 thanks for all the input...i hate to sound like an cranky old man..but some of the b.s. i read on here makes me want to hurl...'specially when people post about how "real" law school is...im only 33 but i feel really old when i read that stuff... because most of it seems like common sense to me....