Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L Strategies  (Read 703 times)

DreamUnique

• View Profile
2L Strategies
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:50:00 AM »
Now that we're starting our second year, what are some tips/strategies you intend to implement this year and why?

Shanelle

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2L Strategies
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »
Now you know what level and type of work got you what grades.  So go back and evaluate your study habits.  Talk to your profs about your exams.  Do you know all the information but haven't master the key to good essay writing?  Or can you write essays very well but need to schedule your study time better.  Can you give up on outlines- or do you need to start making them.  You now have the information you need to tailor your study habits.  You can probably figure out how to do more in less time.

Don't let OCI get under your skin.  Some people will get jobs in the fall.  Many will find that they will get jobs in the spring.  It's not all over if you don't go biglaw.

LRgrader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
This is contradictory to what the above poster stated, but worry about getting a job in the fall, even if it means that you fall behind in the reading. If your school does not use a lottery system for OCI, make sure that you tailor each cover letter for each firm. If you can substitute the firm name and a few things here and there, itís trash. Itís absolutely crucial that you have a strong cover letter.

Once mid-October hits, you can catch up on your reading/outlining. Oh and book brief instead of case brief unless itís THAT kind of class, e.g., ConLaw. If you have a great GPA, try to take pass/fail courses. If you donít, take the easy ones, e.g., clinic (if graded), seminars, etc.

DreamUnique

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions.

Shanelle

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:29:30 PM »
I don't disagree that OCI requires some effort.  Landing a summer job in the fall can be a great thing.  I certainly put a lot of time into it, and was glad to find a summer position.  I guess my earlier point was meant to ease the stress.  Yes, great if OCI works out- but I've seen some classmates find great jobs in the spring- so although I'd pursue oppurtunities, there is no need to loose your mind over it.