Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tax LLM  (Read 32056 times)

Argent

• View Profile
Re: Tax LLM
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:06:12 PM »
I moved over to corporate and hours were so much better. But the biggest benefit was not having to bill hours. The compensation typically includes salary, bonus, car and long term equity awards. Regarding how well people are doing, there is a huge range in terms of success. I don't really know anyone who attended a JD program below Brooklyn but everyone I know is making a good living at a minimum.   

PJP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:47:50 PM »
What about switching from corporate to a law firm?  Is that also generally a viable option?  Were you working at a law firm during or before you started NYU Taxation?  If so, was it a big firm or were you working as a tax attorney already?  Thanks.

jascot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
Does having a CPA along with a Tax LLM help?  I wasn't an accy major but I did major in business and took a lot of accy classes, would going for a masters in accy to gain the required amount of hours to sit for a CPA help if I want to do Tax Law?

myrrheejazz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 08:37:13 PM »
Tag.  I just received approval from the State Board of Examiner's to sit for the CPA exam, and I am looking into a joint JD/LLM in Taxation program.

audustdix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
You lose part of your available employee business tax deduction in hat case?

Ceggon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »
Hey myrrheejazz,

If you are considering a joint JD/Tax LLM, consider the University of Washington. If you work on them concurrently, you get to count 12 of the 36 LLM units towards your JD (double dipping rocks). And, you don't pay the LLM tuition rates on the units you use towards your JD (so you save 1/3 on your LLM).

You still have to make it to 36 units in the LLM, but you shave 12 units (effectively) off your JD.

I just finished my JD and am working on wrapping up the LLM next year. Personally I love tax classes, so it has worked out really well for me. The firm I am at this summer is also very excited about getting a new tax LLM too.

Attending: University of Washington,
Withdrawn: Lewis & Clark, Michigan

I sacked up and made the hard decision that I feel will be the best for me and mine. Someone else can freeze their balls or unmentionables off in Michigan! :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Ceggon

myrrheejazz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »
Hey myrrheejazz,

If you are considering a joint JD/Tax LLM, consider the University of Washington. If you work on them concurrently, you get to count 12 of the 36 LLM units towards your JD (double dipping rocks). And, you don't pay the LLM tuition rates on the units you use towards your JD (so you save 1/3 on your LLM).

You still have to make it to 36 units in the LLM, but you shave 12 units (effectively) off your JD.

I just finished my JD and am working on wrapping up the LLM next year. Personally I love tax classes, so it has worked out really well for me. The firm I am at this summer is also very excited about getting a new tax LLM too.

How does the University of Washington place outside of Seattle?  I wouldn't mind going to Washington state, but I'm concerned that I wouldn't be marketable outside of the state of Washington.  Where is the firm you are heading to located?