Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Car Dealerships?  (Read 1096 times)

jess427m

• View Profile
Car Dealerships?
« on: August 04, 2006, 11:53:54 AM »
Anybody who is from the Austin area/currently lives in the Austin area have a recommendation for a good car dealership? I'm looking to buy a late model pre-owned car (not a truck/SUV) and don't want to get screwed over by a bad dealership.

jess427m

• View Profile
Re: Car Dealerships?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 12:32:40 PM »
I bought a used Accord a few years back from Roger Beasley Honda in San Marcos and think I got a pretty fair deal from them, though I had to haggle for quite a while on my trade.  I think somebody else owns the dealership now.

I can't think of any specific horror stories I've heard or places to warn you away from.  Buying a certified vehicle with a warranty of some kind might be advisable for your peace of mind - I don't think Texas's consumer protection laws are nearly as strong as NY's.

Thank god for used car dealers.  But for them, who else would attorneys have to look down on?

I know. People always pick on my dad & I because he has a used car dealership in NY and I am going to be an attorney.  Luckily though, his dealership doesn't do any shady business and I don't plan to chase ambulances.

Thanks for the advice. I would just buy a car from my dad but even with his discount its still not worth flying home for a few days to buy the car then getting it registered & insured there, driving the car to TX then switching the registration/insurance and unfortunately they can't ship a car to me.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 01:39:28 PM »
If you'd need to register in New York, that's a NY law.  My mom works at a dealership in Nebraska, so both my wife and I have gotten our cars through there.  They just slap on the piece of paper that says temporary, and let us carry the necessary documents for registration down to Texas with us.

The flight to NY and drive back are still something that can't really be avoided.  Well, the flight can be avoided if you trust your dad's choice in cars, and he's willing to drive down to TX to visit his little baby.  ;)

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 01:57:30 PM »
If you'd need to register in New York, that's a NY law.  My mom works at a dealership in Nebraska, so both my wife and I have gotten our cars through there.  They just slap on the piece of paper that says temporary, and let us carry the necessary documents for registration down to Texas with us.

The flight to NY and drive back are still something that can't really be avoided.  Well, the flight can be avoided if you trust your dad's choice in cars, and he's willing to drive down to TX to visit his little baby.  ;)

Clearly you will be ranking higher than me in class because I hadn't even thought of having my dad drive the car to me! Who wouldn't love some quality time with their first born?