Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting In-State Tuition as 2L  (Read 939 times)

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Getting In-State Tuition as 2L
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:44:23 PM »
I know that somehow you can apply for in-state tuition as a 2L if you do certain things, but do any of you know what those things are?
Carlos Cadena Society

pocho

• View Profile
Re: Getting In-State Tuition as 2L
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »
One of your main advantages is you are going to be owning property.  I think that's one of the best ways to get in.  I've looked into the whole in-state tuition thing a lot.  The most helpful information I found was just going through the FAQ's on the admissions website.  There are also more in depth documents you can read.  However this line in the FAQ's gives a semi-pessimistic view on the whole thing:

Q. How do I establish residency?
A. One must be an independent (not claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes), US citizen or permanent resident, (have a green card, also known as card I-551 or the evidence of I-551 stamp in the passport) or international student who is eligible to establish a domicile in Texas and live in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment.

I don't know if that means you have to establish a domicile before first year enrollment or what.  I do have a friend attending Baylor Medical School, and he was able to establish residency, so I don't know what all the details are.

I think to get any real information you need to talk to the Residency Officer Deana Williams,  call (512) 475-7408.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 12:55:08 PM »
Does anybody know: If you marry a Texas resident do you then qualify for residency?

EDIT: The Residency FAQ's answered my question.

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 01:56:07 PM »
Thanks for all the information. I wish Texas was a state that would allow in-state tuition for people who grew up and went to highschool there, but oh well. Being a home owner and working/paying taxes in Texas this summer should help my case. We shall see.
Carlos Cadena Society