Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Book Discussions  (Read 1515 times)

Felsen

• View Profile
Book Discussions
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/book.WBX

On the first day of Orientation there is a chunk of the afternoon when you have three options you can do.

1.  Attend the Student Organization fair.
2.  Watch movies.
3.  Join in a Book Discussion group led by a professor.

If you want to do #3 you have till 21. August to sign up for a group and hope to be selected.  There are some law related books, some Shakespeare, and a few classic books (such as Scarlet Letter).

Nixlimited

• Sr. Citizen
  • Carlos Cadena Society
    • View Profile
Re: Book Discussions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 07:35:17 PM »
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/book.WBX

On the first day of Orientation there is a chunk of the afternoon when you have three options you can do.

1.  Attend the Student Organization fair.
2.  Watch movies.
3.  Join in a Book Discussion group led by a professor.

If you want to do #3 you have till 21. August to sign up for a group and hope to be selected.  There are some law related books, some Shakespeare, and a few classic books (such as Scarlet Letter).

What movies?
Carlos Cadena Society

hornian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 12:32:10 AM »
I signed up for Graliga's. I want to see what all the hub bub is about him.

Heresy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:17:35 AM »
I'm in for Cohen and Sager. Always meant to get around to The Merchant of Venice, so this provides the perfect opportunity.

margee

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 10:06:43 AM »
Hmmm... I think this would either be extremely interesting or extremely boring.  I can't decide which....  I suppose it would depend on the prof, the book, and the other students....

Initially I'm drawn to Graliga or Bobbitt, though I may opt out of it completely.

jess427m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »
I don't think I'll be doing any of them right now... does that make me a bad LS student?

EDIT: None of the books really jumped out at me as things I want to read (and haven't already)... Capote, Shakespeare, Hawthorne... c'mon, most everyone has read them.  As for some of the others, they aren't interesting to me or I don't want to discuss them for an hour and a half w/ gunners and a prof.

I'm not planning to participate either.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 10:46:24 AM »
I find it amusing that no one is doing Leiter :D

It is very interesting that you should have this fixation with Leiter, Brave.  Hmmm...  <strokes his beard>  Tell me about your father.

margee

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
 ???

I'm missing something.

margee

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 11:46:42 AM »
Ah.  I actually checked out his rankings when I was researching schools.  His name just didn't mean anything to me at the time.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:13:48 PM »
His politics vis a vis U. S. News is another matter, but to be honest, I doubt there are many people who seriously buy U. S. News as an accurate, objective measure of law schools.

I certainly don't.  Why actually buy USNWR when you can get the most important part (the ultimate rankings) for free on-line?  :)