Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Section 1 Class Members  (Read 13761 times)

Texas88

• View Profile
Re: Section 1 Class Members
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 08:36:10 AM »
I'm in Leon Green (1C).

I don't have Welbourne for Torts.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »
I just picked up the books for my classes at the Co-op.  They had all of the books except one for LR&W (the Office Supplies one).  I bought mine all new and spent $493.02.  The workbook for LR&W is the only book they said I cannot return.

There were plenty of used books there for the casebooks, enough that you could probably find ones with minimal markings in them.  That'd probably save you $50-75 if you went Used.  I just like new books better, since I keep them all for my bookshelves.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2006, 06:00:33 PM »
Well, my wife let me leave the house to go study in the library for a couple of hours today.  Since I finally got MS Office from the school yesterday, I got around to actually outlining what I studied.

For my Torts, it wasn't too bad.  Of course, not that many folks have Torts with Wellborn.  I'd also read through it already, so just had to re-read and distill it into what I thought was the important information.

I had done the Property case already, since it was only one case.  That case has also been making the rounds of slashdot every time an important decision was made, so I was already familiar with the basics.  I just wish we could have the conclusion.  It looks like after the decision was handed down that we read, that the case was finally settled, but it looks like they kept the settlement value secret.

Set aside plenty of time for the Constitutional Law reading.  The first assignment includes the whole original Constitution (not getting to Amendments yet).  Consider sitting next to a dictionary when you read it.  I could get most of the words through context, but it is nice to have a dictionary on hand to confirm your suspected definitions.  Plus the Constitution is fairly jam-packed with the facts.  I ended up taking more notes on it than was probably necessary.  Having the notes in more modern day English should make it easier to reference than turning to the original and trying to puzzle out a meaning with a Socratic professor bearing down on you at the time, though.

Since I studied at the public library, I was also able to grab a book on the Constitution that looks like it goes through section by section explaining what it means, and how it has been applied.  It looks like it is written for lay people to read.  I also grabbed a copy of the Federalist papers (they're free on-line, I know) in case I get some time.  The Federalist papers will probably be a bear to read, though I'm hoping the Constitution book will help clear up some of the questions I had when outlining the Constitution.

YouHaveGotToBeKidding

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2006, 04:01:13 AM »
Wow, this post is unbelievable.  I don't know if you genuinely meant to look like a total loser, or if that was just an accidental consequence.  Honestly, not only did you take the time to outline the reading a week ahead of time, but then you spent at least 10 minutes typing up a summary for all of us.

The question that comes to mind is why?  What do you have to gain by posting your thoughts on the breakdown of the Constitution and the quality of the materials available that reference the Constitution in the library?

In fact, a better question would be why in the hell you would brag about using the 2 free hours you are allotted by your seemingly understanding wife each week to read about cases that are not yet assigned.  Where exactly is that particular assignment (properties) spelled out?  I can't seem to find it.  I can tell you right now, if my wife gave me a "kitchen pass" (as the married lingo goes), I sure as hell would not use it to sneak away to the library.

Granted, I realize the entire point of your post was to establish yourself as the reigning "badass" of law school, but honestly, do you think anybody is impressed? 

ut2lblah

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2006, 02:05:37 PM »
It's best not to attack other people in your section. You'll all know each other, pretty much for the rest of your professional lives. Don't be tagged, treat each other civilly.

As for outlining your reading, etc, I did that the first few days. You won't be able to keep that up. Just relax. Burnout is a huge issue. You don't need to read the federalist papers (unless assigned). Don't read any lay books about the constitution. Con Law is very dependent on what cases your prof wants to emphasize. Just read the assigned reading, and maybe the chemerinsky hornbook (I didn't like it, but depending on your professor, it may be a big help).

Your professors start you off pretty slow. The pressure won't come until November. If you start going into hibernation mode now, you won't have anything left for exams.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2006, 12:00:06 AM »
I hope you've found the assignments you're supposed to read by now.  Property has been expanded upon.  The insults don't really require a refutation.  I'm also quite willing to stand behind my name and reputation instead of making a dummy account to hide any information about myself.  I make no apologies for my interest in the law and enthusiasm for class to start.

I post here because outside of a few snarky side comments among the banter we do here, I consider my postings to be beneficial.  I gain virtually nothing from posting on these forums at all.  I'll admit I was hopeful that someone else would be willing to engage in thoughtful conversation on some of the things they learned while reading the initial readings.

I'll see y'all tomorrow.  If it seems like I've drastically cut down on posting on the boards from here on out.  Its probably because school has now started!  I'm ready for next year's incoming class to make fun of us for abandoning the boards right as school starts.  :)