Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I Stay or Should I Go?  (Read 2013 times)

kortronovitch

• View Profile
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:52:33 PM »
Ok.  I'm a student at a T4 school (John Marshall in Chicago) and have been accepted for transfer to Depaul (ranked 80ish).  I'm in the top third at Marshall, eligible for moot court, and just found out I wrote onto a Journal there (but not Law Review).  Anyone have any advise?  Thank yous!

pappahood

• View Profile
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:41:57 AM »
hmm. thats actually a more difficult one.

john marshal isn't a very good school and getting a job in chicago is going to be relatively difficult compared to other schools competing in the city.  on the other hand, i spoke with an attorney who graduated from Depaul and he said that the job placement for their students was pretty good.

while this would definitely militate transfering, you have to consider what might happen to your class rank if you left.  since you are only top 1/3 at a T4 school, what would happen if you went up to a T2 school?  I'm not saying you'll be top or bottom, you have to figure that out yourself.  if you think you can maintain that class rank, by all means go.  but if you think you may end up in the bottom 1/3 of the class, maybe staying put and increasing your class rank at a lower tiered school may, in fact, be more beneficial.

hth.

lawlifer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 03:41:50 PM »
I am in the identical position.  T4 in Southern Cali - really enjoy the school.  On the Journal (but no review), Academic Fellow for a class, and great friends.  Got accepted to a school ranked about 80'ish as well.  Not sure what to do....and only a few more hours left to decide!

chicothegreat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »
I'm going, going.....

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »
i don't understand why either of you would go through all of the trouble to apply to a school that you aren't even sure you would rather go to? obviously at one point you thought that you wanted to transfer. now you're having a little bit of the groucho marx syndrome and/or cold feet.

just go for it. you obviously wanted it. don't second guess yourself so much.

or stay... it's not like a low T2 will give you all kinds of better opportunities than a T4.

better advice: ignore me completely.  :P
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

kortronovitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 09:51:45 AM »
I think what threw a wrench in my gears was getting an invite for that Journal.  I told myself the whole time "If I get on law review, I'm staying.  If I don't, I'm going."  But now I got on this Journal which is someplace in between the former and latter.  It's not that I think the Journal is going to open a ton of doors for me, I just think it would be a cool experience and a nice resume line, especially if my comment got published.  But if my ultimate purpose is to get a job, then I need to put myself in a position where I am most likely to get a job practicing in my desired field (whatever that turns out to be).

I wouldn't say that it is cold feet, though.  If I knew what the "right" choice was, I wouldn't be posting on LSD.  But that being said, think I'm going.

How about you Lifer?  You made a decision yet?

chicothegreat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:35 AM »
It wasn't even a question for me. I had a full-ride, graded on to journal etc. at a Tier 4, but I was accepted at a Tier 1, and the deal was sealed. There were a couple of acceptances to Tier 2 schools that were tough to turn down, but I knew I wouldn't be back at my original school.

I say go for it. From what I hear, no matter where you're ranked at your Tier 4, down the road when employers are reviewing piles of resumes, eventually they will focus on what school you graduated from. The name and prestige do go a long way.

lawlifer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 02:45:30 PM »
I feel the same way Chico - yes part of it is cold feet, but part of it is considering how much I would be giving up.  When i submitted the transfer, I did not know my class rank yet, had not been asked to be an Academic Fellow or be on Journal.  The thing is I am happy where I am and while my school is not well ranked, it's a great institution and I look forward to going to class everyday. People can talk about rankings, Tiers and salaries all they want.  I think what is important that we are happy from within and if we are going to be a success, that will happen no matter where we go to school.

No - I have not decided yet! 

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 10:31:47 AM »
DePaul. Transfer and don't look back. You'll thank yourself, especially if you're wanting a job in the legal field in Chicago.

kortronovitch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm meeting with Depaul's registrar Monday to sign up for classes.  After, I'm meeting with John Marshall's Dean and letting him know I'm withdrawing.  Good luck this year guys.

P.s. Lifer, let me know what you end up doing...