Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Include info on Juvie record for Bar?  (Read 663 times)

tix

• View Profile
    • Email
Include info on Juvie record for Bar?
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:52:14 PM »
So, when I was a youngster (12) I broke into a house and got arrested a few days later for it. The owners of the house decided not to press charges so nothing ever came of it but now I don't know if I should disclose that arrest, particularly since I was 12 years old. Would the character and fitness review board be able to see that record? It was so long ago and my life has been so different since then that it was really in the way back of my mind until now, so I never thaught about it coming back to haunt me. What do you all think?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Include info on Juvie record for Bar?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:07:59 PM »
Disclose it and explain it. Better to show them up front it was no big deal cause you were a young punk, and have since reformed (pretty easy to show, I think), then to have them find it and not let you on because you lied about it.
Seriously, if it were me, I would put it down and explain it away, rather than risk getting barred from the bar because you didn't disclose. That looks worse than anything you could have done as a 12 year old.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

tix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:12:26 AM »
thanks, that's what I was thinking. I also asked a lawyer--family friend-- yesterday and he said don't volunteer it unless they specifically ask if I've ever been arrested, since that is ALL that happened to me. I was never even charged. Do you happen to know if they ask specifically if I was ever arrested?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 04:12:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure all law school apps are all different; some want to know arrests, some want charges brought.  Some want to know all traffic violations that aren't parking tickets; some want just moving violations.

When filling out your C&F application for the bar, you'll have to report it as an arrest, I believe.  As long as you report, it shouldn't matter.  Kids are kids, and since you haven't gotten arrested since then, you probably have nothing to worry about as long as you disclose.

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:16:17 PM »
My advice is to be 100% forthcoming with the entire truth.

They will appreciate your candor whether they would have found out about it or not.

Telling the truth shows you have "reformed" and that "the system worked."

The bar is part of "the system," and they will be glad that "the system worked" in your case.  Give them this small victory, is my advice.
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

tylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »
there is zero chance that disclosing this would keep you from passing the character review. you were twelve.

tix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 09:39:36 AM »
Thanks, all. I know it seems silly to be worried about that, but I seem to have run across a lot of info lately that talks about how crazy the review board is. All of your feedback is much appreciated.